Prints Cured on the Bottom of Resin Tank

Hello all!

Recently I have been encountering this reoccurring issue printing with my Form 2.

Whatever I have positioned in the center will be cured at the bottom of the resin tank, but the rest of my prints in the same job pretty much came out alright on the build platform.

I have tried filtering my resn (in this case, Grey V4) a couple of times and made sure I clear any leftover resin on the tank before subsequent print. Yet, this issue persists.

I have another tank with the Castable Resin which does not have this same problem.

I am hoping that someone can shed some light on this. Thank you for reading and I look forward to all your comments/ advice. :grinning:

Hey there @Walktheparth!

Thanks so much for taking the time to post here, and I’m sorry to hear you’re having some issues with prints on this resin tank!

Sounds like this might be a perfect time to try some Fine Tuning on your Form 2. The Fine Tuning options allow you to change the default “home” height of the Build Platform while printing.

In your case, it sounds like Tuning up .4-.6mm would be the best thing to try. If you’re still seeing issues with those adjustments, you can good all the way up to 1mm of adjustment.

After that, if you’re continuing to see these sorts of issues, please don’t hesitate to get in touch with our support team at the link below and we’d be happy to give you a little more individualized help!

Before attempting your next print, don’t forget to go through our Cleaning up After a Failed Print guide to make sure things are all squared away.

It’s also worth keeping in mind that the Fine Tuning adjustments I mentioned should be considered tank specific. Because of this, if you switch to a different tank other than the one giving you problems, you’ll want to set the tuning back to 0.

I hope that was helpful, but don’t hesitate to ask if there’s anything else I can give you a hand with!

https://support.formlabs.com/s/contact-support?language=en_US

1 Like

Support is clearly the most qualified to help you out. The z-axis adjustment they are describing may well be the cause.

As an FYI I had similar failures occurring from some resin smudges on the optical window of the printer. Before playing with the z-axis I would carefully inspect the glass on the printer and look through the optical path for dust, etc. The smudge that gave me grief was really minor - not visible from some angles.

1 Like

Thank you very much for your advice! I will do accordingly and see if it rectifies my problem.

Thank you for sharing your experience!

I will thoroughly inspect my printer for any smudges.

I don’t mean to make it more confusing or anything but, isn’t it the opposite ? If your prints get stuck on the tank it means adhesion to the BP is bad, shouldn’t you rather lower the build platform (negative Z offset) to solve it ?

Thanks for shining some light on that :stuck_out_tongue:

Hello there!

Here is an update on my latest print.

After I have taken your advise and adjusted the Z-Axis - 0.5mm and filtered the resin before proceeding with the print. As you can see in the above picture, the prints turn out fine. Except, there was supposed to be a print in the middle of the build platform.

A quick search and I found that the issue still persisted.

I would love to hear more advice from you regarding this matter.

So what happened? I’m looking all through the forums and nobody ever gets to the bottom of this. I have thrown out tanks, trays, and platforms to only have this issue persist. Man I spend so much time and money on this printer I can’t remember the time I actually saw a good print lol.

Hehe.

I am still trying to find a solution though. Having a “dead zone” right smack in the middle is a nuisance. Luckily, I work with small prints which I guess I can position near the edges of the build platform.

All the trays and tanks you changed, and the problem still persisted? Maybe it’s printer then?

To be fair, most of my failed prints is my own fault (support). And when they do come out successfully, I am impressed by the quality of the print.

I will try printing with my tank with Castable resin and see how it goes. Will keep this post updated.

Thanks for sharing Linda. I’ll look into it.

Well, the latest update is that I have tried printing with my Castable resin and the print placed in the center, came out perfectly.

I guess this is an issue with my Grey resin tank. Thankfully, nothing wrong with my printer.

Still no solution to this. Nor do I know what is the cause of it, so I can avoid having the same problem in the future. For now I will just place my prints along the edges of the build platform.

Some tanks are a bit concave (they are lower in the center). I have not measured it myself but have read it often. There have also been reports of the BP being uneven.

I personally also have had issues with prints not sticking when placed at the center of the BP, with several different resins and tank. For me it depends on the surface area of the parts : too small and it doesn’t stick, so I have to bundle the parts together to merge the rafts and create an bigger surface.

1 Like

Merging the rafts to create a bigger surface is actually a pretty good idea. :+1:

Thanks for sharing John!

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.