Warhammer 40K Imperial knight Paladin

Last night I started to put my decal sheet together. so here are all the elements The large checker patterns which go on one of the shin guards, one pauldron and back of the banner will be applied to the surface and trimmed in place.

As you can see there are color as well as white decals. Also the name banner (Wayward) will be printed in gold leaf. while the grey helmet section of the round adeptus-mechanicus badges will be in silver.

These decals will be printed on my Alps 1300 dry transfer printer on water slide decal paper. The only problem is that I need to install a 32bit version of Windows on something as the printer drivers are 32bit only, and a32bit virtual machine emulation doesn’t work with this printer

Here are the locations of some of the decals

2 Likes

Here are a few shots of the actual work in progress

Here is the final decal sheet. I had to redo some of the decals like the coat of arms and the Adeptus Mechanicus badge. What looks great as a texture decals on screen, doesn’t print very sharply at 600 dpi.

The decals was printed as 5 separate passes, white undercoat, gold, silver, yellow and black. To make sure the white was completely opaque, I overprinted it 3 times. Anyway, here is the result.

1 Like

As luck would have it, I ran out of the “Fire Red” paint, and neither of my local hobby shops have that color in stock, so I had to order it. While I’m waiting for it, here is the model with all the painted parts. Similar to the image above, except with all the decals.

4 Likes

Finally, after nearly 9 months of work, dozens of parts and failed parts and 2 liters of resin it’s finally done.

I will eventually do some extra hoses and such, but for all intents and purposes, it’s done.

So here it is, the Imperial Knight Errant, Wayward of House Pirvan (aka, Sir Pirvan, the Wayward).

Click image to see full resolution.

I still need to buy a display case, and I’m considering adding a couple of space marines for a mini diorama but not at the moment. I really need a break from this thing.

8 Likes

I bought a display case for it, it’s actually a football display case. It’s octogonal, made of real glass, with a wood base, and mirrors on the back 3 panes as well as the bottom.

The only problem is that it being glass, the seam between panes is somewhat distracting, but other than that, it’s pretty cool.

Anyway, I printed and painted a couple of UltraMarines, added some grass and rocks to the bottom mirror, and completed my mini diorama.

And here it is under the glass

7 Likes

I just can’t seem to leave this one alone.

I just had to add another one.

Presenting: “The 3 Amigos”

10 Likes

Wow that is looking awesome!

Very cool model! :slight_smile:

I missed your latest post on this @Dudemeister, amazing work! Such great detail throughout!

Looks pretty great! It’s nice to see you were able to complete it. You should do some good photos without the flash so you can show it off better

Awesome model! Congrats!

Any plan on selling the STLs, I will be your first buyer :smiley:

Sorry, it’s not for sale.

Heyo, broke high school student with a 3d printer in his IT class here, are you planning on sharing this absolutely wondrous models files or are they top secret, I could not find anything else coming even CLOSE to this, and I will not be able to afford to get anything past a chinese recast in quite a long while, and I found your project page after quite some time looking for something that doesn’t look like a poorly rendered PS3 animation. And if not, are you planning on selling them? If so, my schools 3D printing club may purchase the rights to the files for our 3D printing club to ‘study’ and appease all the dedicated Warhammer loving nerds that is our little club.

solidworks models in parametrics. Those are mathematically described surfaces.

But exporting to STL will convert splined surfaces to polygons.

You should bump the export resolution WAY UP. Way Way up.

the average file I export to Preform is around 80-120 mb. and has MILLIONS of polygons. and I will usually import 3 or 5 models at that resolution for a single print run. Something like a sphere whould have 2 million polygons at least to eliminate faceting.

PS- I model in Voxel geometry. and generally my working models will be around 2 gigabytes… 1 or 2 hundred million polygons. I decimate mulitpart models down to an average of 80-120 mb for each part.
Preform accepts them and prints them without issue.

The export resolution should be relative to the size of the printed object, not arbitrarily set to some ridiculously high resolution. As you know, in Solidworks the STL export resolution is determined by the size of the angle or curved surfaces. Exporting the model part below at 1° resolution, results in a 225MB model with 4.7M triangles. The problem is that a ton of those polygons are in the tiny little balls that simulate the rivets. Solidworks does not have the ability to selectively set the resolution on a per surface basis, so each one of these little bumps is made up of 64440 triangles, and there are 16 of them for roughly 1M triangles.

Do you see any reason why something that is roughly 1mm in diameter should be made up of 64440 triangles, and eat up 3MB of data? I don’t so I decimate selectively. But on the other hand I look at the part as a whole, and considering the entire part is 42mm, I see no reason why I should export it at 1° resolution the first place.

So here is a comparison between the model exported at 1° resolution and at 3°. And remember, this part is 42mm wide from one end of the foot pad to the other.

The lower resolution part has only 563K polygons and is 26.8MB, roughly 1/10th of the original size, And for all intents and purposes, the Form printer’s resolution is not high enough to resolve these small polygons so that you can see the individual facets.

Edit: As a side note, when saving binary STL’s, you can estimate the exact size of the output file as long as you know how many triangles are in the model. The STL file format dedicates 50 bytes to each triangle, and adds a 84 byte overhead as the descriptor.

So a 10,000 triangle model, will result in a file 500,084 byte file (10,000 x 50 + 84). A 200 million polys part mentioned before, would be roughly 9.5GB. Shrinking it down to about 120MB would reduce he poly count down to about 2.4M. So Sculptingman’s math is a little off.

1 Like

I use 3D Max to reduce the file sizes of my STL files. I export STEP from Solidworks and Import in 3D max and reduce while retaining form. This way it only removes curvature at the small parts.

This Necron leg would be nearly 500MB when exporting from Solidworks. Only 30MB when I use 3D MAX

1 Like

Very Interesting technique. I’ll have to give it a try. Thanks.

is there any way i could get a copy of either side torso stl file, im working on a kit bash and i dont have the skill to mock it up from scratch in a program