Soldering / High Temp melting point

Has anyone tried putting circuit traces directly on a High Temp print and then quickly soldering them? If so how’d it go?

Can someone comment on the “practical melting point” for High Temp? (I know Formlabs lists 289 °C @ 0.45 MPa. If that works out to 10 pounds per square centimeter then I expect it’s much more pressure than I’d be likely to apply at the time of soldering)

My interest is whether products like the Voltera V-One or BotFactory Squink might be able to print on a Form2-printed substrate.

The resins are each acrylic based so they weaken and crumble instead of melting. 0.45MPa is a pretty considerable amount of force, and it’s unlikely that you’re going to reach that output when printing on traces. There was someone on the forums yesterday with a max output of 350C on High Temp, and although it does seem to off-gas at those temperatures, it’s likely to maintain a degree of structural integrity.

1 Like

I confirm it maintained it’s structural integrity however, it smelled really bad after a minute of heating at 350°C and I felt a bit dizzy. I would follow advice from @Sculptingman and use a fume extractor when testing high temp resin with high temperatures.

1 Like

fume extractors can be costly… and the filter cartridges exorbitant.

but you can build one pretty cheap.

They all use activated charcoal filters designed for high throughput. The thicker the bed of charcoal, the longer they last.

You can buy large, 1.5 " thick charcoal bed canister filters that are marketed to the pot growing industry for around $25 on Amazon or Ebay. You can pull the fumes thru from the outside, or you can push the fumes thru from the central port- each direction is just as effective as far as the filter goes… i recommend the ones with the 4" diameter port.
You couple that to an axial flow fan you can buy for around $100 and on the intake side of the fan you hose clamp a length aluminum expandable flexible vent tubing.
Viola!- you now have a reasonably portable fume extractor. bend the vent tube so its open end is near the work and it will create an airflow away from You and into and thru the filter- returning cleaned air to the workspace.

2 Likes

@shernandez Out of curiosity did you ever heat test any other resins and did they exhibit similar fumes?