Silly error message

When I try to load a print, (USB connection), I get a silly error message stating that my printer is already connected to another Preform instance.
I re-started the printer and Preform, but I get this everytime.

Stupid%20error%20message

Preform 3.3.1 here

Try to restart the computer and disconnect / connect the USB cable - it’s possible that some “orphaned” USB threat is running inside the memory and keeping this particular USB channel occupied.

Hi Luben111,

Yes, I did that, but I still get the message.

If you have a Mac use Activity Monitor to close down any instances of Preform. Restarting your computer will not close extra instances if you have it set to open applications that were running at closedown.

PC here.

As printer can be connected through WiFi - can you also reset the WiFi rooter. Sometimes the routers can keep old IP addresses and imitate that something is connected to the device. Also ensure that there is no other computer in the WiFi net which has installed PreForm and is connected to this particular printer.

If this doesn’t help - you need to go to Device manager, click over the USB driver and Uninstall it but by deleting the files. After that uninstall the PreForm and a fresh installation of PreForm can resolve the problems.

Yes, that error message can be pretty confusing sometimes. The problem is that there are a lot of different ways to get it. It tries to describe the most common case, but that can be unhelpful when you’ve actually got one of the other cases. It’s trying to say that it sees a Formlabs printer on the USB bus, but can’t talk to it. The case where another instance of PreForm is already talking to it is pretty common, so that’s what the error message talks about. But PreForm really can’t tell the difference between that case and one where the printer’s USB driver got corrupted, for example.

The Formlabs support team has a pretty good checklist for helping you through the different cases on this one. You should contact them. I do know that the uninstall that luben111 suggests is the fix for one of the cases.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.