Sand blasting to remove the peel line?

Finally I got my failed Form1 replaced and it works fine now, but I found there will be annoying peeling lines no matter what setting.Definitely I will try Monger Mix when I get the cheery resin from b9, but has anybody tried a sand blasting machine to remove the peeling lines?

A sand blasting machine can “sand” your part with any direction. I have a friend here use this equipment to sand their parts out of EnvisionTec printer and got very good results. But I want to know if this works on Form1’s parts too.

Any experience or tip?

Hey Acon,

Do you have any pictures of the part you printed? The lines you are seeing can be avoided (more or less) by using the optimum orientation of the part. Sometimes the auto orient button get’s it right, but most of the time, I only use it as a guide.

You have to make sure your layers are well supported. No I am not talking about the support structures. I’m talking about when you use the layer view slider, look at each layer and make sure each layer supports the next one well.

When a layer is not adequately supported, the cured resin of that layer deforms slightly (during peel, or even gravity can do that), then when it’s time to print the next layer, you get that unevenness that causes the “peel lines”.

The solution for now is to find the right angle to lessen the effect, or if the resin was more reactive and cured harder for each layer, then the problem could be almost eliminated. May also have to do with the peel motor and hopefully the Form1+ upgrade solves that issue.

Dear Monger,

Thanks for your suggestion. I’ve read all posts on your thread about this resin mix so I totally understand what you mean. Unfortunately I am a sculptor not a jeweler so I have no choice but keeping my model in some orientation so that some important details are protected from supports contact.

I received the b9 cherry resin yesterday and tested the mix in Form1 grey 70 : b9 cherry 30 ratio. (got this ratio from your post to print larger model with high resolution and low pigment settlement. The result picture is attached below.

Unfortunately the details are not as good as your test. I can’t see any obvious differences between the original grey (right) and the cherry mix (left). Models are completely the same with about 6cm height and both printed in 0.05mm thickness. Here you can see the peel lines are very obvious on both parts。

My Form1 is a replacement delivered recently and according to Jory from Formlabs it’s laser system is the same as the new Form1+ but it’s motherboard is the old one so I will get the same quality of Form1+ but original print speed. Jory said the new laser system is more powerful, but I don’t know what that mean and I don’t know if this condition will affect the print quality (peel lines) on my test.

If you want more detail, you should try the 50:50 mix. The 70:30 was the very first one I did. But anyway, that may not help with the lines.

Is you model solid or hollow? If it’s solid, there may be too much vacuum forces at work during peeling. You can try hollowing it out and printing it that way to see if you get better surface quality.

MD,

Yes I saw you said (in your thread) 50:50 will get best details. But I print large models that sometimes toke over 12 hours so I concern the pigment settlement issue. 70:30 should be the most I guess. By the way I expect this ratio should already show the power of the mix but it didn’t happen. Maybe Formlabs guys heard your voice and made a more powerful laser system, and this the new laser system in my Form1 already get the original grey resin a better performance so we can’t tell the difference between it and the cherry mix. Who knows?

Anyway thank you very much. As to the hollowing, I have some similar hollow parts (1mm~3mm thickness) but can’t see any improvement. The peel lines are still very obvious in those parts.

Still finding ways to kill the peel lines.