Prongs not coming out

Just grew this for the second time. Model looks great except the prongs on the side stones in the channel are not coming out. Only a few are there. Suggestions on orienting or adding extra supports? I am using the default support mode. Also grew one with just one large base . same issue
thanks
art

need to pitch the ring forward slightly and add support to the top since it will fail without additional supports. you could add a support on the cad file to connect the base and the upper plate in the front and back of the ring and that would fix it also. but the machine does better when the flat plates are at a slight angle

@ George

Is this what you mean by pitch forward? I also added an extra support to the back of the top section

I would do this on both directions. Rotate it forwards with the same angle as well.

Keep in mind that, although PreForm may not show red spots, and does try to catch everything, you’ll still want to do a quick island check through the layers.

1 Like

I’m not using PreForm for ring supports anymore, but have seen others use a larger sprue on the shank with the ring standing straight up like you had it in the first picture. I also orient them so the wiper is coming from the side as shown below.

I annotated your image with what I think might not be supported. I see you have what looks like little braces, and I have used something similar on one pendant. You could even created one in an “X” configuration that would brace both prongs, but I know these are small. I can only see one brace on each set.

I would second the opinion of going through the layers to check for unsupported parts of the model. I’ve gotten in the habit of doing a check on every model. Feel free to PM with a file if you’d like me to take a look.

Another possibility is more of a horizontal orientation. Your side prongs might not be unsupported in this kind of layout. This ring actually prints very well with a limited number of supports.

2 Likes

RO 41

Not sure what you mean by island check… I looked thru each layer and it is showing every prong printing fine. Is there something I should be looking for?

thanks
art

Kat

thanks for the reply. The red areas on the side actually printed fine. The only issue is the missing prongs in the channels. I have seen these types of rings printed with just the base and the internal tree like you showed. that is my next experiment

thanks
art

1 Like

To check for islands, use the vertical slider on the right side of preform to go through the layers. Check for any parts that may not be supported. Although not the best example, take a look at this screenshot to get an idea of what I mean.

That middle part, if not supported or oriented properly is an island and might fall into the resin tray causing major issues.

Kevin, the prongs are not showing as an island but some are showing in red… will keep playing until i get it to print 100%. Thankfully this is not an order, just doing this to learn

art

Yeah, I was just showing an example of an island…i wasn’t meaning to imply that you have one.

When it comes to printing jewelry @katkramer & @fantasy2 are the experts on this forum. I only print large prototypes for water filtration systems.

Good luck on your next attempt!

2 Likes

Was able to print this boat propeller with no issues and cast with only a few minor issues, Grown in bluecast and cast at regular burnout in satincast.

art

1 Like

Teehee! Thanks for that, @kevinduhe! That made my day. :smiley:

1 Like

Sorry for the delayed response, to check for Islands, you’ll go through each layer in PreForm until you spot that a new layer has started a separate chunk, make sure that the new chunk has a Support point on that location. Here’s an example:

http://i.imgur.com/i3ow8TQ.png

we have the same problem.
It’s better to design support structures with jewelry softwares like Matrix & Z-brush. which Software do you use?
and what about the gem cuts? (holes) are they closed? please send the printed ring photo :wink:

also check this link. it may be useful

1 Like

Thanks for the video link. We use matrix and will definitely check this out

That is WAY cool. Thank you! I use ZBrush, and can make it do something like that, but it’s definitely not as easy…

This kind of support structures which preform of formlabs make isn’t good for jewelries & gold models at all.
if anybody has checked the b9 creator’s software for support structures,he/she knows it’s much better than preform(I’m just talking about jewelry not other industries)
I respectfuly request from #formlabs team to change preform & make it better for jewelries.
Thanks