Flexible supports won't adhere to their base

Hi all,

I’m trying to print a very simple object, somthing like a bone for tensile testing, and all my prints won’t turn out. The base prints just fine, it looks well defined and like everything should, but when the printer moves to print the supports suddenly they print on the PDMS.

I’ve tried cleaning the big mirror, switching back to the previous Preform (I was on OpenFL for the first try, then switched back) and a different old tray. The tray I’m printing on is very new, only used once before so I really don’t think that’s an issue.

Like I said, the bases are fully formed and cured, so that leads me to believe it’s not an optical/laser issue. And the resin is deciently new (novemberish) so that’s probably not an issue either.

Anyone have any ideas?

(I’m using the flexible resin @ 0.1mm and the auto generated flexible supports)

Can you post either your .form file or a screenshot, so we can get an idea of what you are printing and how you are orienting it?

(Not sure if this is an option on F1+ as I am a F2 user, but…) Maybe try adjusting your Z axis by 0.1 or 0.2mm and try printing again? Also making sure the resin is properly mixed (gently shaken/stirred) is important.

Here’s a pic of the file, sorry I can’t post the actual STL.

I have mixed & shaken the resin before every attempt (this makes 4 tries).

I’m not quite sure how to adjust the Z axis, or if I would even want to do that, everything else I’ve printed has worked flawlessly.

OpenFL doesn’t show where the hinge side is, it’s on the right side of the pic, and I’ve tried orienting them so the tall side is near the hinge too.

Seems fairly simplistic. I have printed a very similar item in flex (albeit on a F2) oriented on the flat side rather than the edge. It’s hard to tell for sure, but it seems that the supports are more than sufficient.

My only other suggestion would be to reorient the items at a 45 degree angle (backwards or forwards from the perspective of your photo).

You can read here about fine-tuning and adjust at your discretion. Normally you would adjust the z-axis if you are having any peel issues (base not adhering to the platform or items not adhering to the support structure (which seems to be what what is happening to you)).

It looks like it was the tray after all. That really sucks, it was practically brand new, I used it maybe 3 times. This next print is turning out just fine now. Thanks for your help anyway!

1 Like

Nice, glad to hear it!

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.