Cleaning the Build Platform

I am looking for clarification on cleaning the Build Platform between prints.

Is just scraping the surface between prints good enough or is it better to wipe it down completely with IPA?

I had a part partially release during print. The build platform had been scraped and left with a thin coat of resin.

What is your opinion on how clean the platform should be or what is the FL recommended way?

1 Like

You want to make sure that the build platform does not have any cured resin on it. Generally, just scraping between prints will do the trick. Uncured, liquid resin of the same color should not cause any issues. If the resin on the build platform gets a bit cured (which can happen if removed from under the UV blocking cover for too long), then you’ll want to do a more thorough cleaning. To get cured resin off the build platform, IPA + scraper works, or if it’s really stuck on there, try soaking the build platform in IPA for a while and then scraping it off.

I always wipe mine clean with IPA if I am done printing, I think you are right that leaving resin on there could cause your partial release. Another thing that could cause that is the build platform being just a little bit too high in the fine-tuning settings.

That makes sense that as long as its uncured and the same color there should not be a problem. I don’t know how long the build platform had been sitting out before i did my print. It is a shared printer at work. Thanks for your input Craig.

We started wiping the build platform clean each time with IPA. we are wasting a small amount of resin each time which is a drawback but for now we can focus on the printing. Three or four prints later and each of them has stuck thoroughly. I have not checked out the fine tune settings yet only the PreForm options but so far the bases look like a good thickness. Thanks Josh.

I’m seeing the same problem.
When I print ( This is 4th time trying to print the same part )
The part is small and thin - so it’s attached to the support but the full structure is delaminating from the metal base.
The result is a partially delaminated - morphed part at the end.

Also the end product is soft like rubber ( the part is pretty thin 0.7mm ) but if I leave it out to dry in sun light it hardens but then the part is morphed even more so in the drying process.

Any tips on how to get it to dry without changing it’s shape.

^ dont put in in the sun. Let it get light but not direct sun light. Yes the sun light + heat will warp it.
Also, after a few hours of curing (let say 4hrs) give it another quick wash in IPA and set to cure.

I let my part cure over 24 hours if not a little more.

Just to add to this, after cleaning the platform with IPA is it wise to let the IPA evaporate over night before using the platform in the printer?

Great question, @Edward_Peretti. You will definitely want to allow the build platform to fully dry after cleaning, but overnight may be more than is necessary. I’ve found it best to only use IPA on the aluminum surface, unless it’s absolutely necessary to clean the plastic.

My routine after a print is to remove the build platform, remove the part and soak in IPA bath. While the part is soaking I just scrape what resin I can back into the tank and then simply wipe the build platform dry with a clean paper towel. I’ve never used IPA on it and have never had any issues. Occasionally I notice a little dust booger or something before I got to print but I just quickly wipe it off and I’m good to go!

1 Like

After each print has been separated from the build platform, I hold the build platform over the IPA tank and dip the end of the scraper into the IPA. I then use the IPA-soaked scraper to squeegee any remaining resin off of the build platform and into the IPA tank. I usually do this in three strokes, then I use a paper towel to wipe off any remaining IPA. I have never had a print job fail to stick to the platform.

Guys just to add to this, I notice resin leaks out from under the build plate after cleaning. Just wondering if there are any solutions to getting inside the gap between the plate and the holder?

Do you mean where the aluminum meets the black plastic? There is an O ring in place internally but if you search the forums some users have run into the issue of leakage after heavy use and there have been a variety of experimental methods to fix this. It is a serviceable part though so if you’ve worn yours out to the point where you’re worried about contamination, $100 will get you brand new build platform.

Been prints just wiping it dry with a paper towel seems to be good here. IPA on a paper towel and wipe if your changing colors. I think drenching the platform with IPA may allow some IPA behind the metal plate that may contaminate future tanks of resin if not allowed to evaporate. There seems to be some weeping of excess resin that works its way behind the plate no matter what.

I just clear my with water, and dried with paper towel (it left some small bits) so I clear it again with water and left to dry. Lets see how second print will go :slight_smile:

Water doesn’t do a whole lot and putting it on there if you have the lights on will cause the resin to cure (since areas that are exposed to oxygen won’t cure and water will block the air)
Just wipe the platform down and clean with IPA and it works just fine

2 Likes

Now I have 6 or 7 prints because object was build in segments. When I remove print, it only left uncured resin on build platform. My question is do I have to clean platform after each print or I can go print next one ( I remove cured parts)?

Some people don’t do much to clean the platform if they’re doing a print immediately afterwards, but I always do, wipe it down with a paper towel and then use some IPA after that to fully clean it.

2 Likes

While cleaning the platform between prints isn’t necessary if you’re using the same material, it can be useful to ensure that all cured resin has been removed from the platform. I tend to wipe down the platform with a paper towel to verify that I’ve successfully removed all of the raft and none is hiding beneath uncured resin.

1 Like