"Waiting for Tank to Fill" Not Timing Out with Empty Cartridge

I’m trying to print with an empty cartridge (resin in the tank is between the fill lines). Usually, the printer will attempt to fill the tank, and upon failing, give me an option to proceed anyway. But I’m no longer receiving this message. Instead the printer hangs on the “waiting for tank to fill” step for over an hour.

I’ve updated the printer firmware and restarted the machine, but it hasn’t solved the problem.

Is there a workaround? (Without using open mode?)

1 Like

I have this problem as well. It’s been over an hour with no message.

Have patience…

Hey @jtgonz!

If I’m understanding your issue correctly, you can actually just pour resin into the tank to get it started! I would probably fill it to just below the minimum fill line, and then it should finish up on its own relatively quickly.

Hi @DKirch, thanks for your reply – didn’t notice it until today.

When I have this issue, there is already resin in the tank (above the minimum fill line). The Form 2 attempts to add resin anyway, and hangs on this step.

I’m having this problem again today (the printer has been “waiting for tank to fill” for about two hours now).

If someone from Formlabs (@Frew ?) is monitoring this conversation: can this be addressed in a firmware update? This has been an issue for a few years now (see this thread: Printer just says Waiting for Tank to fill and does nothing else).

One idea for a firmware solution (a “skip” button for the filling stage) is here: Print Without a Cartridge . However, simply shortening the timeout might be a more straightforward fix.

Not to sound rude, but have you tried using it in Open Mode?

I’d like to keep the heater and wiper functionality, and as far as I know, this is not possible in open mode.

1 Like

Have you had an opportunity to talk to our support team? That sounds like an issue we may want to address more head-on than waiting for a firmware update, but I’d still be happy to check on that just in case! :slight_smile:

We recently purchased a Form 3 for school. We have run some prints that all came out well. We tried to continue printing and received this message “ Cartridge is empty or jammed”. There is quite a bit of resin in the tank but wiper just keeps going back and forth for hours and then stops. We have students needing to print final projects. We can’t find much information on this problem and need help.

Hi @SMCART,

Apologies for the late reply, but if you haven’t already opened a ticket with our Support Team, they will be the best resource to get you a resolution!