Supports are killing my surface

Anytime I have a large surface area or edge where the supports make contact the surface prints very rough and even to where it warps the part. If the supports run along an edge there is a draping effect. This is where the support pulls down the edge and the edge becomes scalloped. Any suggestions?

That definitely looks a bit weird. Your shell looks a bit odd too. If I was printing that piece I would set it’s shell thickness to around 1-1.5mm, sports contact size to .4mm (I always set to .4) and density to around .6. Unfortunately those areas closest to the supports - particularly if it’s the closest to platform and curved can go a bit awry. I often find I have to sand and fill such areas. The problem is that sometimes it all goes just fine, so it can be hard to diagnose the issue - I try to keep the supports well spaced add this should allow the resin to flow better for each layer. You might want to try meshmixer for shelling your prints if you aren’t already using it.

Your venting hole does not look like its in the right location either… kind of looks like you had a blowout before the vent hole was being made… not sure though with out seeing the original layout.

I think you are correct about my vent. That bad surface could be a result of too much resistance coming off the tray. I’ll add one perpendicular to the surface and on the high spot.

Your post makes me think I have misunderstood the purpose of a vent. I thought it was to drain uncured material from inside a hollow part. So I would always put a drain hole near the lowest part of the build. But sounds like the vent your talking about is to allow air to escape to eliminate pressure build up, or even vacuum build up. So that should be placed at the highest part of the build. True? I never thought about that.

Is a drain port even needed? In hindsight, I guess uncured material is only an issue in post processing. So a vent could also be used as a drain.

yes but the “venting hole” for relief of the vacuum pressure would need to be at the highest point of the shelling or hollow part. With out it you run the risk of having the print basically implode. Not knowing how the part was supported or oriented I cannot for sure say yes that was the issue but it certainly looks that way to me.

It could also very well be the thickness as well (what Jason Said) I would need to see more of the data to be sure

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.