"Sketchbook" Y-Wing

I’m a model builder, and the Form 2 has just blown open what I can do in-house, now. This is/was my first project, which not only got me acquainted with the SLA tech, but also was a test to see what i can do in Rhino (I’m very new to 3d, after decades of more traditional model making). So far it’s been amazingly capable! It’s the Y-Wing fighter as sketched by Joe Johnston, so it differs in many ways from what ILM built in '75/6. The pilot is in the style of the storyboard art, as well. I designed and printed it in 1/24th scale, to emulate the scale that was used on the Y-Wing filming miniatures. I’m currently in the weathering phase, making it look “Star Wars used and abused”.

This tech is amazing!

9 Likes

Is the whole model SLA? How did you make the T-struts?

L’eggs-cellent work!

1 Like

Ahh, the tees are the only plastruct used, sorry about that! I stepped down to T6 as they run inside the engine bodies on this version. Also there is a laser cut acrylic armature and a metal plate inside the hollowed out wing “sleeves”. The fake L’eggs (good man!) are really elongated and taught me to punch a hole in the tops when growing to avoid the whole cupping thing.

The rest is Grey Pro resin.

It was a nice bit of luck with the head shells and engines fitting the volume of the Form 2, as well.

I’m helping an acquaintance with designing a lights and sound kit for for a screen version studio Y-wing, so I’m inundated with Y-wing/Joe Jonhnston Lore. Yeah the T-struts would be tough on the F2, I think Grey pro would still have trouble even if there was the space to print it.