Formlabs R2D2!

@Adrian Tanner: How awesome is this project? Please tell us more about how you made it! I want to see photos! :)))

1 Like

Nice to see there’s some interest in this! I’m working on putting together an ‘unofficial build log’ that’ll probably be mostly a photo dump with captions and helpful tips. I’ll post it to the forums when it’s ready!

6 Likes

Absolutely! This looks like the coolest project! Anyone else feels like that the official blog should be more connected to the forum? Some of these projects are almost inspirational I’d say! Photo dumps highly appreciated!

That’s really cool, though using something like the Form2 to print something that big is overkill and super expensive for the resin.

1 Like

Not if its free! =]

Imagine if all that resin used didn’t quite make the QC cut. It would be wrong NOT to make beloved fictional characters out of it.

Though now I am curious, do you have a running total of volume of resin used? How much would that cost us plebians to print, not counting any finishing supplies?

2 Likes

I wasn’t really keeping track but my estimate is about 10L, so $1500. One thing to consider is that most of the other full-scale R2 builds I’ve seen have cost far more than that in raw materials - on the order of $5-10k. Depending on how much you value your time and your level of model making experience, building an astromech this way could be a bargain :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Another advantage I had was overnight access to a plethora of printers. I could usually start a large print after work one day and pick it up the next morning without disrupting coworkers’ workflows. The printing itself probably took upwards of 800 hours.

3 Likes

But what software can break up an existing stl file? Maybe a future preform can include that feature?

1 Like

You can use the Plane Cut feature in Meshmixer. Check out the link in the original post for more details.

Adrian, quick question, would you be willing to share your sliced files for R2? I’m almost finished printing a 1:1 wearable C-3PO and will be ready to move on to the next project and make him a companion. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Here is a horribly disorganized link to everything I have on R2. It’s all yours - best of luck and mtfbwy :slight_smile:

2 Likes