Printing a rectangle (thin cuboid) - curling issue

I need a simple cube - 3" X 4" X approx .12" thick. I need it to be reasonably, at least visibly flat. It needs to handle 150 deg C in an oven, so I need it in Hi Temp resin.

I tried a couple orientations in my Form 2 with V1 resin including the “standard” 45 by 45 and directly on the build plate - with and without supports.

For the 45 X 45 I oriented it perpendicular to the wiper so that peeling forces are along the long dimensions. It’s curled some after printing and gets worse after wash and even worse after cure (even with reduced time and temp).

When printing flat to the build plate with supports it cups after post cure.

When printing directly on the build plate without supports it cups as soon as I remove it.

I have the Form 3 but no V2 Hi Temp resin yet - about to order some. The Form 3 doesn’t appear to support V1.

Any suggestions?

Gary

It will be quite hard to print this without warping. May I ask why you need to 3D print such a simple shape that could be easily machined from a plastic sheet? You could even use a simple saw if you get a sheet with the right thickness…

If you’re dead set on 3D printing this, your best bet would be to have it angled at 45° in both axes, and wash+cure it with supports on. Make the model thicker than you need it to be and then sand it flat.

Thanks for the reply.

This is part of a project a colleague of mine is working on. It all needs to be done using additive mfg. There will be other materials deposited on it and then oven cured.

I may try the both axes idea, but have had issues with curling during build with that approach in the past.

Does anyone think the Form 3 would offer any solution - I ordered the V2 Hi Temp resin.

Perhaps curing without heat? Has anyone tried that approach. It only needs to handle 150 C in the oven post cure.

You might have more luck with FDM for such an object. Polycarbonate , PEKK or PEEK.

We aren’t considering FDM for this because we need the smooth surface texture that SLA provides. Unfortunately, I haven’t found a way to keep it flat. :frowning:

I ran another one directly on the plate and cured with no heat - still curled too much.

I think I will try P3D’s idea of 45, 45 - with lots of support. I always wash and cure with supports on whenever possible.

I don’t even care if it’s fully cured as long as it will take 150 C for a couple hours.

This is definitely not an object that lends itself to 3d printing. Laser cutting would be a better option.

That being said, you could maybe add some geometries to this to reduce warping and then cut them off and sand afterwards.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

I’ve had pretty good success with this - here’s an update for the record.

First, I understand and agree with all the comments about this not being a good candidate for 3D printing. We are working a project that requires EVERYTHING to be done using additive, it needs to be smooth and handle 150 C in an oven. Considering all the choices I have available to me, I’m lead to High Temp V2 on the Form 3. Hey, I’m just trying to give my customer what he needs! :slight_smile:

Here’s what I found. The more I angled the orientation the worse the results. I saw significant curling even before curing in the Form Cure which made it much worse.

FYI, all curing was done with supports on.

The first pic is 3 orientations I tried. The center one was the best - vertically straight and angled slightly from the build plate. I used the default support points and noticed that after cure it had “pulled” toward those points which were not symmetrically placed. I’ve attached the .form file.

Substrate - 3X4 - Hi Temp X3.form (898.1 KB)

The second pic is the same orientation as the center one with support points placed evenly and symmetrically up both sides - I did 5 of them on a plate. They came off the printer very flat. I cured them standing up at the full cure settings of 80 C at 120 mins. They only had very slight curling, and 1 was almost dead flat.

3X4 - Hi Temp X5.form (294.9 KB)

They are definitely flat enough for our purposes so I consider this a success. I hope this helps someone out there who might want to try a similar technique.

Gary

Thanks for sharing, it helps me a lot.