Anyone print a perfect sphere?

I’m trying to print a perfect sphere with the Form1 and I’m having problems doing it. For some reason the very bottom of the sphere where the support structures are attaching always comes out under-cured, distorted and flaky. No matter if I make the support thin, thick, less of them, more of them, etc.

Anyone experience this? Does this have to do with the peel mechanism?

Do you have any pictures that we could take a look at? That’s really useful for this kind of thing.

Hi Sam,

Yes, I already sent them to the support team, but here they are again.

Basically, it’s beyond printing spheres now.

On anything we print, the bottom of the model, where the supports are closest to the base, we are left with under-cured jello-like resin on the surface. Resulting in a deformed bumpy surface on the bottom of the printed object.

The items were printed using the new software, with the default supports, at the clear 100 setting.

Thanks, these are really useful! Flat surfaces, parallel to the build-platform, are actually some of the most difficult geometries for the SL machines to capture, and that’s while you’ll often hear us advise you to print at an angle.

Obviously a sphere is a special case, but I would see how these turn out (the cube, for example), when turned on a corner.  I’ll let Jenni follow-up in the ticketing system, as it helps us keep better track of issues.

We did print at an angle with similar results (we actually get better results with the grey setting), however why is it that the rest of the cube (and other shapes) prints nicely and all the corners are sharp and the top is smooth? Only the parts where the supports are attached are failing to print properly.

By the way, with the new software, when we import the cube and click on Auto Orient, it leaves it parallel to the build-platform instead of positioning it at an angle.

On my first print, I noticed that at regions of high support structure density there was deformation or incomplete forming of the geometry, especially along an exterior edge, including failed support structures. The part was a mostly planar shape about 1/16" thick (4.75" x 3.45"). Maybe, reduce the number of supports, make them smaller too?

Also, the default print angle was used.

I have tried thinner supports and less supports. Why is it that the very horizontal base is printed perfect and the support attached to it is perfect? Yet where the supports are touching the model, it all goes to hell? This seems to be a much bigger problem. Can you guys post some pictures of your prints with the supports on?

An example of area with high density of supports along edge. This was the only image I have of this print, it’s no longer in my possession.

Here is one sphere