Print orientation

Hello everybody,
I want to print a very detailed part with the high temp resin. I am not sure about the orientation in preform, because i am new in the 3D-Printing buisness.
There are small holes with a diameter of 1mm and a filigree emblem in the Center , like you can see in my STL-File.(Dropbox - File Deleted)
I have already printed trial parts with small holes.

The diameters are correct, but the holes are skewed.

Are there any suggestions for orieantation ?

what angle did you print this one at?

and what RESOLUTION?

Any downward facing surfaces will have extra material cured to them due to the laser going through the currently printing layer. So for a hole in a print if the hole is not printed vertically then it’s not going to be exactly the shape you wanted. What you can do instead is plan to drill the hole out after printing, since you can get it more accurate that way, that might only need you to put a mark for the drill in the location you want the hole.

I would print the piece flat, directly onto the build surface. Using supports will leave a horribly scarred bottom surface, unless you plan on adding tons of supports. The surface is simply too big to properly support flat. The really small holes will most likely need to be drilled out, as I don’t think the printer can print them without partially filling them.

You might also consider printing the piece vertically. A lot less supports, and a smaller cross section.

I normally do what Dudemeister said for something like this. Put your flat face down on the build platform obviously since you have nice features on the other side. It will probably turn out thinner than you intended though since the initial layers will be compressed. You may need to compensate for that during a 2nd print. The holes are technically suction cups that could pop your part off the platform though since they don’t have venting. You can also consider making it flat but putting supports all over the bottom side. The surface is going to look terrible (as Zachary said) but maybe you can sand and polish that to your liking.

The bad surface on the backside is no Problem.
We have already milled parts on a milling machine and it worked very well.

We are printing with the High Temp resin, wich has good flow properties at 32 ° C print temperature (has a different viscosity than the other resins). Maybe the suction Forces are not that big, to pull it down from the construction panel.

Vertical printing is no option, because the support damages the emblem and fine structures.

Thank you for the Replies.

If the backside isn’t an issue then I wouldn’t bother printing directly on the build platform as Dudemeister suggested, since it will influence the Z axis dimensions. I would print it with the flat side facing down, inclined at 30° on the X axis and 10° on the Y axis, use automatic support generation with a .9 density (that’s not a big part and cross sections aren’t big either) and manually move the supports that will be placed near the edges of the holes.

The flatter you print your part, the better the holes will be, but the rougher the flat surfaces will be too.

You wouldn’t need support for the emblem in the center. In fact most of the supports would would be at the bottom of the print, and only a few supporting some of the arches.

I agree that it would be a good idea to print the part flat without supports. In that case don’t forget to make the part 0.4mm higher to compensate the first layers compression, otherwise the part will have a different thickness. However due to the pockets there could be problems with the so called suction effect. The air will try to escape and could generated unwanted holes in your part

Printing the part vertically as dudemeister suggested is a good idea, however you will probably see horizontal lines on the outer surfaces, but they could be removed by sanding.

I would print the part at 60° angle to avold supports on the inside geometry which are harder to remove than sanding the big flat surface.

Regarding the small holes, I would drill them after the print to be sure that they are round. Another possibility would be to measure the holes after the print and adjust the dimension in your CAD Software for instance to 1.1mm and reprint the part again.

His problem seems to be the holes are skewed even though the are dimensionally accurate, which may be a byproduct of the piece being printed at an angle. That is why we’ve benn suggesting he try printing it either flat on the print bed, or vertical with minimal supports.