Print fail issue: Waiting for layer "x"

I don’t know if this issue is prevalent in preform 1.3 but this is the second time I’ve experienced this problem.  Apparently, it occurs when I try to set the print resolution at its highest setting.  I go to print it out and then preform stops unexpectedly after several layers have been uploaded onto the printer.  At this point, the machine keeps printing until it stops at the layer which was supposed to have been uploaded.

I will try printing at the lowest resolution to see if this problem is isolated at the highest resolution.

Any suggestions?  I know that this explanation if very vague. Please let me know if there is any questions I can answer. Thanks.

I saw this recently, but only after updating to PreForm 1.4.

I tried downgrading the software/firmware, but that didn’t work well either.

Did you get this resolved?

No, this issue has not been resolved.  Downgrading to PreForm 1.3 does not help, either.  I only notice this problem at higher print resolutions, however.  I will try a different computer on my next print. I have it printing off an old Macbook pro laptop. It is slow when generating supports but works reliably except for more detailed prints then it crashes. I’ll let you know what I find out.  Thanks.

Hmmm, have you opened up a ticket with our support team (support@formlabs.com)? This is the kind of issue that our software team needs to know about – if you can make sure to include the details of your system (OS, video drivers, etc.), that’d be very useful.

I’m also running into this issue. Some prints around… 4-8 hours seems to be ok, but anything beyond 8 hours I get a frozen print. The printer is sitting there, screen says “waiting for layer 2849” or whatever layer it made it to. Very frustrating and Ive wasted a lot of resin this way. At first I thought the issue was a bit of print had failed and fallen into the tank and started to cure on the bottom of the tank, stopping the build platform from getting into position, thus freezing it unable to move on thru the layers.

However last night I had a print going for around 12 hours when I got home I was disappointed by the waiting for layer and a quiet printer. I opened it up and sifted thru the resin tank expecting to find a hunk of resin but the tank was fine…

This is probably the… 5th or 6th time it has happened, most times on longer prints, and on both medium and highest detail.

Printer: Form 1+
Resin: MakerJuice Black
Firmware: 1.4

I got the printer second hand, but know the previous user well and it was barely used, maybe… 8 to 10 prints that came out ok he said. Its definitely not under warranty, is there some way I can open a ticket or get some help?

Thanks

John

Is it possible Preform is running out of memory?

Im not sure, I have 32GBs of ram. It has happened on larger models I suppose but it also happened on a print that was a few smaller pieces (< 200k tris each)

I think Preform is only a 32bit app so it will only see 4gb. Only other thought is maybe it is timing out as it is sending the file to the Form2. Maybe a background task is interrupting the system either from the computer or on the Form2 itself.

Our support team is happy to work with you to help troubleshoot this. I’ve reached out and a member of our team will be in touch with you over email. You can also always open a ticket here.

I just had this happen yesterday. Started a print at the highest resolution and the machine froze up 3 hours into a 16 hour print. Help!

The first troubleshooting step is to make sure that PreForm and your Firmware are up-to-date as this was a more common issue a few releases back. You can always grab the latest firmware and PreForm from the release notes page. If you’re up-to-date, I’d recommend opening a ticket with our support team so that we can help to troubleshoot further.