PreForm 2.14 update is AMAZING

I see the problem… Unlike the old style "printability which would auto update as you added supports; the minima and cups only update once you have added supports and applied the edit. Thanks for documenting that new feature workflow Formlabs.

I also should add that importing the same exact .form can and does produce different minima issues on loading. What’s up with that?

Are you importing with different layer thicknesses? That would explain different minima results.

1 Like

No. Exact same settings

Can you show us what you’re seeing re: different minima issues on load?

Replying to the OP: Yes! Agreed. Thank you Formlabs, thank you! The update came out when I was traveling and I’d been meaning to post a thank-you when I got back to my desktop. The ability to quickly target minima (prevent “floating islands”) is something I’d been hoping for a long time. I was really excited when I saw the update.

3 Likes

Well, actually I’m beyond that. Now I have had the recent opportunity to actually print something with 2.14 on an F2 with current firmware using Gray V2. The print begins building on the plate as normal until at some point about .5mm thickness starts builds on the tank bottom. I’ve never seen anything like it. 3 different builds 2 different models.

And yet you still can’t mirror an object

To be fair Preform is a slicer not an editor. What’s preventing you from doing that in your own CAD software before exporting to STL ?

My last project had twin engines and each have 40 parts, they’re exactly the same parts just mirrored. If Preform had a mirror function then I could import them once and apply my supports and then just mirror them with one click to do the other engine. Right now I have to flip everything in my 3D software and then export all of that to Preform and then manually do all of the supports again. It adds a massive amount of time to prepare things for printing.

2 Likes

Didn’t though of that, good point !

The PreForm Minima Detection doesn’t work reliable.
The minima of the left handle was detected, the right wasn’t.

I agree that it does not need a base as high as this and we expect to have a smaller diameter of the holder.

I will thank them for firmware prior to 2.14 as it has caused a lot of people issues with quality, over-adhesion and the minima feature is extremely hit and miss. 2.12 and 2.13 worked better. Hopefully the next version will fix the new features.

Whoa! I had no idea what people were talking about with the “minima…” That’s some crazy stuff!

Now, what about “cups?” What is that?

My question is and because the support created in Preform has to have a very large diameter depending on the part and very bad to remove the supports. That way that is in the image is much easier to remove the support of the piece I do not understand because Formlabs did not correct these details for us that we work with jewels the pieces are very small and thin to work with very thick support what you think of this question ?20180116_070101

You can set the diameter for every support individually.
For fine details, set the diameter to 0.30 or 0.40 mm, delete the support und set it manually.

You can also vary the support diameter, so, for instance, you can set the diameter on a ring shank to 0.60mm, but have fine detail at 0.30mm.

I agree that 2.14 is amazing. Still wish it supported a 3D mouse.

I thought they added 3d mouse support in 2.13?

My 3D mouse works in Rhino but not PreForm 2.14; is there something special I must do to activate it.??