Need bio compatible material for Form 1

Hello,
I recently bought Form 1 + for my dental practice.
To print surgical guides / http://www.argencanada.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/biocompatible.jpg / for implants we need bio compatible material like Bio™ Range from https://www.asiga.com
They need to be suitable for direct contact with skin.
Verodent from www.stratasys.com is also bio compatible.

Do you plant to offer such material? Or can we use bio compatible material from other manufacture?

Best,
D-r Sitnov

2 Likes

I have been trying to do the same thing and print the surgical guides. I asked before but they didn’t really respond back. let me know if you hear anything from them.

Have you tried the Bio Range or Verodent with the form1+ ?

I posted on this too.

I have a lead on a USP Class VI Resin. I reached out to DSM on their Somos BioClear USP Class VI Resin.

This Resin provides FDA documentation. The only issue is the smallest quantity they sell is 10kg.

I reached out to DSM about getting 1kg quantity. They are looking into offering smaller quantities.

Another option is DSM Somos® WaterClear Ultra 10122 is the same resin but not FDA certified.

To follow up on this, has anyone confirmed if any of the various resins are compatible with the Form1?

HI,
I visited IDS last week. Lots of 3d printers with SLA technology from Italy and Germany with bio compatible resin. But they produce it and dont sell it without the printer.

Any idea where to buy bio resin?

RPSupport.co.uk carries DSM XC 1112 and ProtoGen, both of which are biocompatible. They may be able to supply you.

The question really is compatibility, especially with non-industrial printers.

1 Like

The PDF here leads me to think it won’t work. They list the laser peak wavelength for it’s compatible printers as 325nm or 355nm. The Form 1+ is 405nm. Odds are the photo sensitivity of DSM XC 1112 is some where between the two figures they list. I could speculate here but it might make more sense to ask a them or one of their distributors.

+1 for bio-compatible!

Here it is some pics of my printed models with surgical guide and vaccupress.
If I have biocompatible surgical guide would be enough. No need of vaccupress.

1 Like

What about making a silicone mold of the part and casting it in a safe resin?

Hi Nedelcho,

I am a student and my current research is about biomaterials for bone reconstruction. I am using the Formlab1+ at the moment and I am looking for a good bio-compatible resin within the body. I was wondering if you could let me know whether you have found a bio-compatible resin which could be printed successfully with Formlab 1+. I have tried several before. However the were not working successfully as they weren’t compatible with the wavelength of formlab or their viscosity was too low in comparison with formlab resins. I would really appreciate if you could reply me as soon as you can.

Thank you in advanced,
Mah

No, I have not found biocompatible material yet.
I am still searching.
Formlabs could help us to find one with the same wavelenght on the market.

I had contacted them and was told I would see poor results without a 350nm laser… One of the resins I had mentioned was the Watershed. Maybe the resins you inquired about are different though.

I tried Somos XC 11122 on the original Form 1, and it would not cure. I didn’t even get a hint of curing, as the resin in the tray was the same viscosity before and after my test jobs, with no solidified or gelatinous floating pieces.

Lower viscosity should actually give you better prints and have sharper detail on support sides ves thicker resins. If your not having luck with the resin then the exposure is either wrong or the wavelength required to expose it is too different than the 420 that Formlabs uses.

Welcome to the discussion on whether or not the Somos resins are at all compatible with 405nm lasers.

Wow, what a great topic, definitely needs a bump!

Are you listening formlabs? This is important!

As a dentist and new owner of a Form 2 I see a tremendous potential in the dental realm. I know we can use it for models and various other things, but if we can use a biocompatible resin, even if it costs significantly more than the standard resin, It opens up the potential for directly printed surgical guides.

Most dentists who need this capability from an SLA printer have to spend a minimum of $14,000. This solution is perfect for most dentists and much smaller

If we can get a biocompatible resin, and it gets announced on a site like DentalTown… You could have many hundreds of orders within a few days. There is an incredible need in dentistry for an amazing printer like this with an FDA approved biocompatible resin.

Who will answer that call and reap the rewards???

I hope someone, especially formlabs, does soon.

Thanks!

3 Likes

Biocompatible resins that have been successfully USP Class VI Certified may still leech chemicals that are toxic to mammalian cells - although exposing finished parts to UV light for 24+ hrs may deactivate some of the toxic leechants from the part.

Let me quote from a recent review paper on the subject, “The upcoming 3D-printing revolution in microfluidics” by Bhattacharjee et al (pdf):

A few resins have already undergone some biocompatibility certifications. A SL-resin, Somos Watershed 11122 XC (DSM, Netherlands), and MJM-resins, VisiJet M3 Crystal (3D Systems, USA) and MED610 (Objet/Stratasys, USA) have been certified as USP Class VI or “medical-grade” plastic. MED610 and Watershed has met more stringent biocompatibility standards – ISO 10993-5 (cytotoxicity) and ISO 10993-10 (irritation and delayed-type hypersensitivity) –, whereas MED610 has also passed ISO-10993-3 (genotoxicity), ISO-10993-18 (chemical characterization of organic and aqueous extracts) and ISO-13485 (every batch of material undergoes biocompatibility testing) certifications. However, FDA approves devices, not materials – so these certifications do not automatically make the plastics safe to use in all biomedical applications; more specific and longer-term studies need to be performed on the printed devices for ascertaining their biosafety and biofunctionality.

Analyzing the leachates from printed objects is critical for biosafety assessment. A couple of recent studies presented a comprehensive toxicity profiling of the leachates of some commercially available resins and polymers that are commonly used in 3D printing – ABS (FDM), PLA (FDM), VisiJet Crystal (MJM), Visijet SL Clear (MJM), Watershed 11122 XC (SL), Dreve Fototec 7150 Clear (SL), Form 1 Clear (SL). Zhu et al observed significant growth inhibition in freshwater microalgae when they were cultured for 48-96 hours in water-soluble leachate extracted from all 3D-printed structures112. Aqueous extracts from all SL polymers induced 100% mortality of Daphnia sp. neonates after 24 hours, and all SL and MJM polymers proved to be significantly toxic to zebrafish embryos112 (Figure 9D). Zebrafish embryos cultured in 3D-printed structures made of Visijet Crystal or Watershed showed developmental defects, whereas those grown in leachate extracts of ABS and PLA did not have any behavioral abnormalities.

UV-irradiation to cure unreacted monomers and post-printing extensive washes often prove to be sufficient for rendering the printed objects safe for cell culture and biomedical applications. With SL, we have printed PEG-DA (MW=258) petri dishes, which were rendered cytocompatible after overnight UV curing and 24 hour extraction of leachates in water. The PEG-DA (MW=258) petri dishes were compatible for the long-term (> 3 days) growth of mammalian cell lines (CHO-K1) (Figure 9E), which were indistinguishable from cells grown on tissue culture polystyrene (TCPS) surfaces (Figure 9F).

Researchers have recently developed a new biocompatible resin, Poly(D,L-lactic acid) (PDLLA), for printing bone scaffolds with stereolithography. According to this paper (pdf), parts made from PDLLA are:

• biocompatible & biodegradable (intended to be implanted in bones, then absorbed)
  • very strong: tensile strength ~55 MPa, elastic modulus ~3 GPa, elongation at break ~1.9%
  • photopolymerized from resin with blue light around 440 nm - compatible with form labs 1 & 2; to quote from the paper: “Using a build platform step height of 25 μm, layers of resin were sequentially photo-crosslinked by exposure to a blue light pattern for 40 s. The intensity of the light was 20 mW/cm2 and the wavelength ranged from 400 to 550 nm, with a peak at 440 nm.

I can’t find any retail suppliers of PDLLA resin online, but the researchers do describe the materials and chemistry they used to manufacture their own. Perhaps Form Labs or one of their partners could make a batch. If not, we could independently have a contract chemical manufacturer synthesize some if there was enough interest to share the cost.

Hi All!

Today we’re proud to announce the first biocompatible material in desktop SLA 3D printing. Check out [Dental SG] (http://www.formlabs.com/products/materials/dental-sg/) – our Class 1 Biocompatible Resin designed for dental surgical guide and similar applications. It’s EN-ISO 10993-1:2009/AC:2010, USP Class VI compliant. It’s tuned for accuracy and precision, and as a result available only on the Form 2.

We’re very proud to take a big step into the dental world and especially into biocompatible materials!

We’ve been listening!

Gideon

5 Likes