Need bio compatible material for Form 1

What a timely announcement! Heading over to the specs page on dental SG to see how it compares to PDLLA - thanks @gideon

How much do parts made from Dental SG experience post-printing shrinkage? That was one of the main challenges with PDLLA, I believe. A trade-off between hardness (elastic modulus) and shrinkage.

Hey @100ideas! Parts shrink a small amount during post-curing, but the resin is designed to optimize for post-cured properties. The material strength properties that you see on the material data sheets, and the accuracy study, were all conducted on fully post-cured parts.

A ton of optimization has gone into ensuring that Dental SG is our best performing resin in terms of accuracy and precision. Check out the white paper to see more details. A study of 84 printed models comparing the print to the intended STL revealed a deviation of less than +/- 100 microns over 93% of the surface area. We think this is a significant milestone for surgical guide applications specifically, and the clinical outcomes from the study were well within the bounds of other 3D printing systems current favoured in Dentistry.

In terms of hardness, the primary concern in dental applications are flexural properties (there are very few tensile forces in the mouth). Again, for these we’ve ensured that post-cured Dental SG parts meet or exceed the ISO standards expected of materials for these applications.

Always going to be working on pushing the limits further, but we’re excited for what this means in the digital dentistry world!

1 Like

Is this available also for form 1+? I am asking because in your store there is only available for form 2.

@car3less: Nope. From what I was told, the machine and resin had to be certified. The Form 1+ is not certified. We can’t use the resin.

not really fair I would say. :slight_smile:

have you ever tried printing with the resin as it is and coating the prints with some bio compatible material?

I wouldn’t say that it isn’t fair. It was a business decision. I am sure it costs a lot to get the certification. Since I have no use for the resin it really doesn’t matter to me. The part of the resin that bothered me the most is how it was written up. When Gideon wrote “compliant. It’s tuned for accuracy and precision, and as a result available only on the Form 2.” it made me think that FL doesn’t feel the Form 1+ is not as accurate and precise as the Form 2. They are obviously different machines with features but his post should have told the whole story.

I wouldn’t think printing with normal resin and coating it with a bio-compatible resin being a good idea. I am sure the FDA would have something to say about that as well. I am sure that is a no-no in the FDA play book. Maybe I am wrong. Someone with more knowledge than I have would be better at answering that.

Yes, you are right about the certification.
About the coating, some University professors I am working with are studying the resin and the whole situation. That is why I was asking. Maybe someone else tried and had some good results… It’s very complicated when it comes about the human health.

Thanks for the info, @gideon, and congrats to the whole team for bringing this handy new resin to market.

1 Like