Jammed or empty cartridge error

Recently we have had a few problems with our build tray reloading resin and we get an error after an hour or so of it trying to fill it saying that the cartridges are jammed or empty. they are not empty and they are open and we make sure the nipple on the bottom is also not stuck. I’ve looked in the unit and none of the parts seem to be broken where the resin is dispensed. this issue is on an off and we find that filling the tank manually before starting a print helps prevent it but sometimes we are doing 1-2 day long prints and it stops midway through due to this error even though none of the cartridges have been completely emptied. because of this error and prints stopping for hours the prints most of the time come out warped or have fractures that make them unusable. Does anyone know why this is happening or if we need to replace any parts in the dispenser area where it squeezes the nipple to release the resin?

Hi log6tech,

We’re sorry to hear this. Have you already tried Taring the cartridge floor load cell (Form 3L/Form 3BL) (formlabs.com) in the case there may be an issue in that area?

If that does not help or you have already tried this, the best way to get help is to create a support case with our support team in regards to this issue.

I would provide the SerialName of the affected printer with the latest diagnostic logs (Form 3L/3BL), along with photos of the area where you are inserting the cartridges, and the team will be able to help you further from there.

Hope this helps!

Was there ever a resolution for this? My left side cartridge slot will not dispense resin anymore. Only the right side seems to function now.

Recently had a similar issue with my Form 3L printer, where it would dispense painfully slowly or display a “cartridge jammed or empty” error. Turns out our printer (Bought several years ago) had the old style of dispense arms and the newer version corrected that error. Reached out to support about that and they sent new dispense arms over at no charge.

Hope this helps.

1 Like

How do you tell if you have the old style or not?

New Style
The older style (Top) has a flat face where the newer has a pointed face. I included some images that might help better identify what I am describing.

1 Like

Thanks, I’ll have to take a look to see what version I have and ask Formlabs for a newer one if mine is old.

Anybody have the model for this? should be pretty easy to just print a couple of them.

Looks like I have the older style arms with the flat face. I’ll reach out to formlabs to see if they can send me a replacement.

Is there anyway to manually move the arms to see if they’re moving without a cartridge in there?

You should be able to move the arms themselves yes, but from my experience just because the arms move doesn’t mean that the resin will dispense at the ‘correct rate’. The older style arms I mentioned previously still moved prior to me replacing them but the resin would dispense slowly.

The issue I’m having is one side is dispensing perfectly fine but the other side with the same cartridge is barely getting a drop out.

Could be an issue with the spring in the assembly then? When support sent me the new style dispense arms, they also included the springs for it. Those paired seemed to resolve all of my dispensing issues.

It’s entirely possible that the older style arms could have still functioned well if I had just replaced the springs in it.

1 Like

Hi @Bushley and @Jasonlee2 ,

I would advise opening a Support Ticket with our team to have them send a replacement arm and/or spring if needed!

1 Like