Not a very glamurous project, more of an experiment, really.
Someone on these forums once asked if it would make sense to print FDM printer hotend and extruder parts on a Form1. Obviously, for any structural parts, the answer is no (at least with regular, non-tough resins), due to brittleness. And resin parts aren’t very suitable for high temperatures either, because they tend to make methacrylate crack.
However, out of curiosity, i decided to give printing a hotend fan shroud (duct) a try, just to see how well it works.
I’ve been having serious reliability troubles with a particular hotend (that i won’t name out of decency, until i get a response from its makers) and a printed fan shroud they’ve sent along with the hotend. Even their updated shroud design they’ve emailed me sucked pretty badly (no, not “sucked air”, that would’ve been a good thing). So i’ve decided to design my own and give it a shot.
Ignore the fan orientation, it’s wrong in this photo :