Fuse 1 thoughts

@ JohnHue Just think how many pages of A4 paper a laser printer can print in black only mode in a minute. Each layer would be a little slower ~50% dependent on energy source, colour and composition of build material also if the scanning head combined a powder leveller or had a separate second boom? Who knows just a thought

I took a look at the Markforge Metal X. It prints the parts with a carrier that is fused by a laser (SLS) then the part needs to be fired after to burn off the carrier.

IMO the cost of the machine and the fact that you have to compensate for the parts shrinkage and the hassle of firing the part after. For the money they are asking I could get a really really nice cnc mill with 5 axis and the software to go with it.

Not sure if the Fuse is similar.
As a sls that does not do metal but uses a laser to fuse different polymers then that would be really good. I recently finished some parts that will be injection molded in nylon. Would have been so much better to test the parts in nylon directly rather than fart around with 3d masters and making urethane resin based parts to test bed with.
I think there would be a good market for a desktop SLS that can do various plastics and materials other than metal.

Though being able to make parts in metal sounds nice, I think the quality of the metal parts would be really inferior to actual machined parts that and not exhibit cast metal properties or be as porous.

I havenā€™t used modern CAM software in a number of years but I still think your average user is going to have a much easier time applying a constant shrinkage rate and firing 3D prints than learning about speeds and feeds, datums, and toolpath generation. To someone like you with the know how to run the mill, by all means thatā€™s the better purchase. Just figured it was worth factoring in.

1 Like

Your correct though some mills are really easy to use and auto set themselves up, Roland has a series though not the greatest machines, their software auto does the tool paths and tool changes so even someone with minimal knowledge can simply choose the material, load it in and start cutting.

As for printed metal, I believe they still have a porosity to them much like a cast iron or zinc part. This might be ok for some applications but I believe it is misleading to show a crankshaft or some sort of lever leading the consumer to believe its just as strong as a machined part. I could be wrong on that.

2 Likes

@yoderkl & @brainglow Most doors open from the right (right handed people majority) and the handle is on the right so not upside down.

2 Likes

When I click on the Fuse 1 link it gives a 503 error, did the page get taken down. I was on the homepage looking at something else and saw the Fuse 1 link but no luck. Not sure how I missed this whole discussion but glad there are a lot of posts. Always fun to speculate!! I had heard rumors before the Form 2 came out that they were working on SLS.

We had a bit of down time but the page should be back up now!

I still think itā€™s some sort of SLS printer, and I think we are looking at the side of the printer in that teaser image. Hopefully weā€™ll be able to buy it on June 5th and not have to wait until Octoberā€¦that would suck.

I would be happy if it could print both plastic or ceramic powder. Metal would be nice to have but itā€™s not a deal breaker. I hope this Fuse 1 printer will be within the same price range as Form2.

Build volume might be smaller than Form1/Form2 since itā€™s a desktop SLS? Also I keep hearing about how SLS printing might result in explosion , is that remotely true or just fear mongering?

@ SomKim Interesting thoughts - Itā€™s a three quarter view touch screen at top/front plenty of cooling vents for laser top compartmentalised from potential dust contamination below. Build size similar to Form 2 however Z may be slightly bigger
however an F theta lens could make it generally bigger with SLS larger parts are better because surface finish is generally poorer than SLA. Launch in June and open for pre orders release September? superstition.
The interesting point you make is materials, real world materials with real world properties, could be fused green state in the build then post sintered or just hybrid UV resin plus material.
Almost any powdered material in suspension in the air is explosive some donā€™t even need to be in suspension.

That then makes me think has anybody tried a thermite cast metal process into a hollow cavity of the ceramic resin
the desktop foundry?

Just a thought

@ Frew Yep back up but now I canā€™t find that tag line that was quite revealing about Fuse and I think the teaser image is now in a much darker place?

I take it all back found it on the Blog page

See the Latest in Formlabs Products
Get a sneak peek at the future of Formlabs and 3D printing: weā€™ll be showing live demos of products to come and announcing some very big news. The future of Formlabs isnā€™t just about stereolithography and the Form 2. Weā€™d say more, but we arenā€™t allowed to talk about it here yet.

1 Like

Also looks similar to the Sinterit Lisa without the thermoformed front panel.

I think it would explain why they made the wash and cure station.

SLS has a much higher burden of safety equipment to go with it. I am curious, if it is SLS, what they are doing about nitrogen generators, explosion proof vacuum cleaners and depowdering stations - it all makes the cost of a wash and cure station look cheap!

Most of the other ā€œconsumer levelā€ SLS printers out there donā€™t have elaborate cleaning chambers. For the common plastics (nylon) they arenā€™t running any external gasses into the printer or into a cleaning station if itā€™s even provided.

Should there be some safety precautions? Yes.

Household flour can readily explode if suspended in specific conditions (typically in industrial processing settings). We donā€™t take any special precautions for it at home because there isnā€™t enough material being used for a long enough period. The same goes with SLS plastics with the exception that I would wear a dust mask.

Iā€™m thinking it is for sure a Metal Printer.

Reasons why:

1. They say ā€œAnd now for something completely different.ā€ A standard SLS machine would not be completely different from their Form line. However a metal one would be.

2. The name is Fuse 1. When I think of fuse the first thing that comes to my mind is metal particles fusing together or welding.

I may be wrong but i feel like the chances of it being a metal 3D printer is pretty high.

3 Likes

FDM maybe, heated chamber (thick door) , similar to the stratasys machines?

Seems to me like the technical challenges of a metal printer are pretty steep - laser power, dealing with the powder, safety issuesā€¦ Maybe they have a completely disruptive technology.

I guess I would put my money on something like the polyjet technology - Occamā€™s razor.

CLIP pleaseā€¦

It looks like they are revealing more info as we get closer. I brought up the light in the latest image and think I know what they are launching! This image was taken down right after I dd the screenshot.

It looks like it will be a dedicated single purpose printer that can print metal and black nylon in one print.

LOL, they have me anxiously checking. From the name, it seems like a powder based printer. Not that I want to skip a weekend, but waiting for Monday.

2 Likes

I think it could just be an oven for their X material (ceramic resin)

i will have donald check with vladimir and see if he has any hacked info on what this will beā€¦
timmy
ps. it could be the first printer to print using covfefe

2 Likes