Formlabs washer spills?

Hey folks, I’m a bit new to Formlabs stuff but at my job we’re using the formlabs washer. I know resin is not a material you wanna mess with, and naturally in moving the washer for the boss, a bit of the alchohol spilled out on my shirt, a small cup worth or a lil more. We havent washed anything in there for over a week or two, but didnt empty it out either, and I have no idea how much the washer kills the resin inside. I tossed the shirt into the laundry bin at home, is something like that just washable as is, or should I be letting the shirt and the other clothes it came into contact with get some sun before washing? I have no idea if I’m over thinking this, my boss says so but I figured I’d come to those with more knowledge! Any other safety into on the washer would be great to know as well!

if you’re worry from a health safety standpoint, you’re overthinking it. My personal opinion is that Formlabs is legally required to put these warning on the bottles but it’s not like it’s particularly dangerous. I certainly would worry less about having some resin on me than some herbicide I can buy at the local home improvement store. If you’re worry about loosing your shirt DO NOT put it under the sun before washing it.

What I have done when I had textiles and uncured resin come in contact with each other, is that poured some fresh IPA over it to dilute and take with it the resin, because as soon as it polymerizes between the fibers it will never come off. I mostly wear cotton and jeans though so I know they resist fairly well to a bit of IPA.

Avoid using strong solvents for cleaning resin on your skin, rather use standard soap. IPA dissolves the resin and using it to wash yourself only helps small amount of resin penetrate your skin. That’s valid for cleaning basically anything from your skin.

The Wash doesn’t “kill” the resin, it just dilutes it so that it doesn’t stick to the part.

As for the need for “killing” it, well… it’s better for the environment to cure the resin before throwing it away, but having it come in contact with you skin isn’t going to do much to you. Most of what it can do in small regular quantities is cause a case of hypersensitivity to acrylates but that can happen with basically any acrylate in their monomer state, and is not specific to SLA resins.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.