Formlabs team should think this through!

What kinds of resin can share a same tank, can anyone post a list or something? Thanks!

Why can’t we switch different type of resin after cleaning the tank?

I’m using a form3, the problem is we people are more than capable of cleaning the tank thoroughly. Why banned this option? I think it’s the best if the OS just give a fair warning but forbidden it!

I will support this question because after several unsuccessful attempts to burn out the resin Castable Wax Resin I decided to abandon these attempts and I have an empty tank after this resin.

Is this in reference to a Form 3, or an earlier model?

On the Form 3, the printer prevents you from switching a tank to another resin outside the same “family”. e.g. You can switch between different Standard resins just fine (Black <–> Grey <–> White) or between engineering resins (Tough <–> Durable) but you can’t switch between the two groups (e.g. Tough <–X--> Black). It was discussed recently here: Tough 2000 resin

On the Form 2 and Form 1+ my understanding is you can switch freely. Of course you may not achieve as good results going from an Engineering one such as Rigid, to a Standard such a Clear. Rigid (and other Engineering / Flex resins) wears the tank faster and some remnants may get left behind. Also if switching from a dark resin to a lighter one (e.g. Black or Grey, to Clear or White), you might find the old residue “tints” the new stuff ever so slightly. The more of the original resin you get out, the better (just be careful not to scratch the flexible membrane / PDMS).

I’m using a form3, the problem is we people are more than capable of cleaning the tank thoroughly. Why banned this option? I think it’s the best if the OS just give a fair warning but forbidden it!

The second post in the thread I linked discusses it:

The reason for this is that those resins wear out the tanks at very different rates (see customer_v2 6 for tank lifetimes), so switching between them would mess up the calculated lifetime recommendations.

It’s not just an issue of cleaning. The problems stems from the fact that different families of resins wear the tank film at different rates. I agree it would be nice to have a way to override.

The number of resins that aren’t chemically compatible is much smaller than the number that are. I know Standard, Durable, 80A, 50A, and Tough are compatible because I mix them. There’s a few that aren’t cross-compatible, but otherwise it should be fair game.

Uneven tank wear is a nonissue, tanks should tell you what’s been used in them but otherwise allow for switching.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.