Form 2 cover won't open (UPDATE: USER ERROR!)

I’m updating this post because I can’t remove it. If anyone at Formlabs can remove it, feel free!

After a long, stressful year where I’ve been remodeling my parents’ house after they went to assisted living, I returned to my studio, where my beloved CurlyBee has sat unused and alone. Poor CurlyBee…CurlyBee has been my constant, reliable companion for over two years, and I left her alone to pursue other analog endeavors like deck building, tiling, and installing wood flooring. www.katadair.com/remodel

After receiving new Castable Wax as a birthday gift to myself in July, I updated the firmware and printed/cast a few items, then headed back to my parents’ house an hour and a half away.

When I came back briefly for Christmas, I thought I’d print something. I’d been modeling a lot of fun things in ZBrush, and I was thrilled to print and hopefully cast. I had several firmware updates and a PreForm update (WOW, you guys made it even better than ever!!!), then I was ready to print. However, I couldn’t get the lid open. Maybe I’m just afraid of breaking my beloved printer, but when I felt resistance opening the lid, I stopped. Although I’m out of the warranty period, little CurlyBee has performed like a champ for almost 2-1/2 years.

I opened a support ticket, and within the next 12 hours, I received a prompt reply from Mark at Formlabs. He asked that I send a video showing what I was experiencing, because mine was kind of an unknown issue.

So this morning, I was making the video, and lo and behold, I lifted a little harder and the lid came up. IT WAS USER ERROR. I was so afraid I was going to break my little printer, I just didn’t lift hard enough. I had also thought I had an issue with the printer not automatically filling back in July…I’ve been printing in open mode with a 3rd-party resin for about a year, but right now my printer is filling just fine and I’m back to printing.

In a nutshell, it was user error, so I’m using this opportunity to thank the folks at Formlabs for the greatest Christmas gift ever. I used to be a tech support trainer/customer service trainer at Apple, and I the service I received from Mark and Formlabs was top-notch. Like I said, it’s been a stressful year, and it’s amazing how something so simple as being able to print something can make my day. Thank you all.

Here is the original post:

Curious if anyone else has had this problem. I haven’t printed since July, because I’ve been in a major remodel of my parents’ house. I finally loaded up some models in PreForm, and when I came to print them in the studio, the cover won’t open. There is no tank loaded, and when I started up the machine, it didn’t recognize my network and required me to re-enter the password (it’s still the same as it was in July).

When I tried to open the cover, it told me briefly on the screen that the “cover is open, please close,” as if I was in the middle of a print job. Since there was resistance, I didn’t try to force it open. I’m not sure how to restart the printer.

I’m going to update the firmware next.

Thoughts?

Okay, I found the reboot, and it didn’t make a difference. The screen says “Ready to Print! Please upload a file.” When I try to lift the cover, it tells me that I need to close it, but there’s still resistance.

I finally figured out how to download a firmware update. It’s installing the update, but I think this is something more mechanical. It’s almost like the lock that prevents you from opening the printer while printing has become engaged, although I haven’t printed anything in five months and there is no tray or cartridge installed…

SOLVED! Duh, user error.

I love my printer!!

Excuse the mess in my studio…I haven’t been there in months.

TADAAAAA!

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.