First Successful print on the new replacement Form2

Below is a photo for some row boat printed in 1/4" scale. The white ones were printed at Shapeways while the grey ones are my prints. Except for the support points, which sand out easy, they are identical and run from the same STL file. If it keeps up this way I’ll have a lot of new products.

4 Likes

Nice, after all of your troubles I’m glad to see you up and running. Congrats man!

Kevin, it was a mess to clean up but only took me an hour to an hour and a half to do the cleaning including removing the metal housing. Not too bad for a 74 year old now is it? [laugh]

4 Likes

I’d try to orient your boat the other way around, so the supports touch the gunwales instead of the underside of the hull. Might result in a print that is easier to clean up, if the top edge of the gunwales are in the same plane you could clean all the support blemishes up with a flat sanding block…

2 Likes

Randy, there are details on the gunwales. A plate and holes to drill to put pins in for the oars. Sanding would delete these. Thanks but it works good. As I’ve said before, I really don’t use the Form 2 for production but for masters to make silicone molds to cast in quantity. Much cheaper in the long run.

1 Like

Here’s the latest successful print on my Form 2. If this keeps up I’ll be going through resin like it’s water printing pieces like this.
It’s a Winch Hoist frame in 1:48 scale. Extreme fine detail. Designed by a friend, Ed Traxler, in South Carolina.

4 Likes

Although it would print slower, you could put the supports on the transom, with the bow printing last.

Ben, that’s what I actually did. It also allows for far more pieces on the build plate. Quantity is as much an issue as run time when you are doing production. Some items I run are double stacked with fine custom supports for the second layer allowing for 122 pieces in one print.

1 Like