Fail Print

So I had big print and left print overnight to print it. This morning I came in office and have something to see. the model was ripped off supports somehow and but part of model was left on supports very weird, also it continued to print supports while part of model left in resin, and also on place of model it printed resin on base of tank, so supports continued to grow but model didnt because it was blocked by layer of printed resin on bottom of tank. I remove supports from build platform cleaned build platform, but didnt clean tank, what to do and how to do that? Can I bring back resin in Cartridge? How to remove printed resin on bottom of tank, how to filter resin. I lost 200 ml of resin that is 1/5 of cartridge and cartridges are expensive. Also tank was new this was his third print and cartridge also third print… Also I had luck relatively small piece of model ripped of, If that was bigger I would have mess all over the place with spilled resin.

Filter your resin thru a paint filter, https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01H7PEHEK/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 , In the support section of the formlabs website it describes how to remove the cured resin from the bottom of the tank. But basically you use the spatula / scraper that came with the printer. You just want to catch the edge of the cured resin. Careful not to cut the tank. It is only sticking on the bottom due to vacuum. Once you get an edge lifted up it will lift out. Then scrape, via dragging method, the bottom of the tank, pulling scraper toward you in one direction, the resin to the edges and wipe with a lint free cloth or PEC pad. I only wipe the edges of the tank not the build area. I personally have never had this happen, but I heard of a friend that did, yeah right lol. Might want to re orient the model with a little more tilt if you can. Also increase contact point size of supports. Cannot see the back but you are allowing a lot of leverage for the suction of the peel to break off the model. JMHO

this is postament for main model, so this is only way to print it because of size, only other way is to put it in other diagonal front left to top right or to tilt model in other direction, but it will be same. Also it didnt just ripped of supports it also ripped of model, if you see on first and second picture there is long piece with enough area to print on and it was flat… have no idea what happened. Thank God it didnt spill over the tank and make mess

Unfortunately, this happens. It’s happened to me a few times. make sure your resin is clean before reprinting.

You could also slice your model into pieces. Almost like a pizza, 4 pcs, and assemble it after printing. I’ve done that with some of my larger prints. Just model some tongue and grove features or dovetails so that it will fit perfectly together once it’s done.

If this is White resin, shake the cartridge very thoroughly before use and mix the resin in the tank too if it’s been sitting unused for more than a few days. There are a lot of pigments in this resin and they settle easily as the bottom of the container.

Also, did you change the touch point sizes from the default values in PreForm ? If you have drastically reduced the touch point size it can lead to such errors.

I cant upload image anymore… have felling that I am blocked… I used 0.4 mm support and for software it is ok. This makes me mad because resin is not cheap and when this happen i can throw away 1/5 of liter, I aint tell you about time(time is money) lost on cleaning. I love this printer but this stuff makes me wanna sell 3d printer for nothing.

0.4mm for such a big print is pushing your luck, I certainly wouldn’t have taken the risk unless I had a really really good reason. I am more for refining your cleaning methodology than reducing touch point size, to get a better final print and less failures.

AFAIK Preform doesn’t take into account touch point size for the printability assessment. The warning you get when setting the point size under .4mm is a generic one and it doesn’t take into account the part actually being printed. While .4mm and under may be ok for a jewel with very low volume and cross section area per layer, it is certainly not indicated for such a bug print.

Well still cant upload image to show you what is problem with this forum ???. Anyway ripoff hapened before it print 1/4 of model so that is deffinetly not reason of fail. If it printed half of model and then this happened i would understand but like this… this is something other, maybe that shake of pigment although i shaked cartridge before put in printer 2 -3 days before this print… i was thinking about slicing model in 4 cuts and connect like somebody sugested but i dont want to see conections in my model…

I have just had a colleague remove one of his prints from the tank today, in Grey Pro. Failure mode was identical to yours, he used .35-.4mm touch points on a 41ml, 243 layers, 0.1mm layer height print. I don’t have absolute confidence but I still strongly believe that th .4mm points are the issue in your case.

Well if you are right then there is problem with preform, they have to calculate this thing instead generic supports, at least that doesnt look like too big thing to do in software. I am looking now for filter it is imposible to find…

any hardware store that sells paint sells paint filters.

The picture you posted looks like it printed a quarter inch of the model before it tore away, and the wiper pushed it to one side.

I agree with John that your point size should be the default or even larger when printing something with this much mass.

But Also- see if you can rotate the model a little in plane, so that one of the pointed angles is closest to the platform.

What I see that I suspect caused this problem was that you were printing one entire flat side of the octagon at once… this dramatically increases the shear forces on the supports because these long layers are all shrinking linearly. This, coupled with your using small support points, is what tore the model from the supports.
You want to always orient a part so that the cross section of the model starts very small and gets larger very gradually so that only a few additional supports are connected to the model with each layer- this minimizes the shear forces on the newly connected supports and allows the supports connected in prior layers to stabilize and hold the gradually growing cross section stable.

Orient the part with one corner angle low- and that will also place one corner angle high- so that the part cross section grows slowly and toward the end of the print, when the lever arm of the print is higher, you are also reducing the suction of the cross section on the tank on peel.

“Sorry, that file is too big (maximum size is 7168kb). Why not upload your large file to a cloud sharing service, then share the link?” omg I still cant upload image 1 MB or file 1 MB…

Yeah- imagine how their storage capacity would be overwhelmed by everyone uploading 7 mb or larger sized files?

I generally have to email any picture I take with my phone to myself- just so it will give me the option to downsample the picture to a reasonable size for posting.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.