Experience with third party support-generating software?

I began using the Form2 last week, and it’s amazing… except for the branching supports that in some cases use more material than the parts. Previously, our office had a 3D Systems Projet 7000, and the native support-generator was very efficient; dipping the supports into IPA for 15 minutes and they peel off the parts with barely visible contact points. I understand that it’s unfair to compare industrial-grade to consumer-grade SLA printers, but I feel that this is a bottle-neck for the Form2.

Does anyone have experience with third-party software that create efficient supports? Maybe Netfabb? Thanks.

There’s no way to generate CAM data for a Form printer except with PreForm. But if you’re not happy with the density of the supports, turn the density down before you click “GENERATE”. I do this all the time. Smaller parts in particular can be printed with a lower support density.

I also generally reduce the support point size to the minimum. They seem to work as well, I don’t get separation of the supports during printing, but the entire “raft”, the base plus the supports, can usually just be twisted off of the model to separate the print. I haven’t used the Flush Cutters for as long as I can remember…

I generate my own supports manually in Matrix but I have been toying with the idea of seeing how well Netfabb and similar generate supports without destroying model detail areas

I haven’t seen any other tools for making supports that does as well as what you get in Preform
I always place the supports myself, but the main advantage is how it branches the supports together so you can have thin supports but they are structured very well together.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.