Dental lab tests printing teeth, lost wax investing/burnout/gold casting and lithium disilicate glass pressing

Hi, my technician can convert Cerec data to STL for fee

itā€™s fascinating!

Nikolay, please send me a mail with more detail to douw (dot) grobler (at) telkomsa(dot)net Ā . What do I need from the dentist, cost and turnaround Ā time?

Hi all,

Iā€™m so glad to see this printer being used for dental. Ā I donā€™t know about the lost resin casting as much as I do about the implant surgical guide aplication. Ā Iā€™m patmo141 on youtube and other forums. Ā Please email me patrick dot moore dot bu at gmail.com and we can talk CEREC files and Blender etc. Ā Iā€™m currently in residency so I donā€™t have a TON of free time but Iā€™ll try and respond within a week. Ā Would love to get my hands of a Form1 myself

Cheers,

Patrick

My foray into 3D printing in dentistry has come to a sticky end.Ā  Unfortunately.Ā  After my experience of 3 x failed machines the Form 1 is just not up to it.Ā  Which is disappointing as I was 95% printing at 50 micron, and printing objects of between 25 and 75 ml.Ā  So, not pushing it that hard.Ā  Itā€™s probably fairer to say that the Form 1 is, or should be, a great little printer but the quality of the componentry is dubious and, seemingly, so is FormLabs desire to stand behind the quality of their product when you are outside the US.

Craig, Ā Iā€™m so sorry to hear that! Ā What troubles were you having? Ā Perhaps you can email me some of your experiences. Ā What are your plans for the printer? Ā Return, resell, mail to me?

-P

Craig, switch to theĀ  B9Creator HD version my friend :wink:

form follow function

Patrick - Machine 1 arrived 8.5 months after ordering\paying.Ā  Nothing unusual there.Ā  It lasted just on two weeks.Ā  Machine 2 arrived but didnā€™t even make it overnight.Ā  Machine 3 then arrived and lasted just on three weeks.Ā  Apparently, the same problem with all 3 machines - the laser unit degrading.Ā  Up to this point FormLabs was supportive and did take back and replace each faulty machine.Ā  Apart from the delay in actually getting the 1st printer, and the subsequent downtime and disarray 3 faulty machines caused, I was hanging in there for them.

But the game has changed.Ā  FormLabs will replace my printer for free but I now have to pay the cost of freight to and from wherever they are (Boston I think).Ā  I can understand why as shipping faulty printers to and from places worldwide must be costing a fortune.Ā  But that is their fault as they chose the components to be used - not us the end-users.Ā  With the initial cost of the Form 1, the cost of freight to NZ in the first place, plus subsequent purchases of extra resin trays, Iā€™ve spent approx. US$5k on this printer.Ā Ā  For me to replace my (yet again) faulty printer is going to cost approx. 10% of what I have already spent, for freight costs.Ā  We do not even get a say on which freight company is used.

That in itself would not be too bad if I was convinced, nay categorically informed by FormLabs, that they have fixed the problem Iā€™ve been subject to 3 times now.Ā  However, I have not got this confirmation.Ā  Based on my previous experience Iā€™m looking at approx. US$450 every 1-2 months for replacement of a faulty machine.Ā  Itā€™s just not going to happen.

Irrespective of all of that my biggest gripe with the Form 1 are the resin trays.Ā  I have used the grey, clear and white resins.Ā  I had settled on the white resin for my uses.Ā  However, the resin trays do not last long at all - some last less than others.Ā  I must have ten of them now and I doubt that each has lasted more then a week - often only a few days before fogging starts.Ā  Despite care being taken to look after them.Ā  Itā€™s quite possible, of course, that my ongoing failing laser issues with the printer have helped accelerate the demise of the resin trays.Ā  Iā€™m pretty sure it did on one occasion but I just donā€™t know for sure.

CS

Hi Derek -

I think itā€™s going to be a printing bureau for me for a while.Ā  Iā€™m over the hassle\stress of (often) sitting in an information-less vacuum.

I cannot treat my clients like that.Ā  Iā€™m already bull-shitting some of them in an attempt to cover for the time-delays and problems involved with the Form 1.

I keep getting comments like ā€œThanks for writing in and Iā€™m so sorry you are having issues with your Form 1ā€.Ā  Iā€™m over this approach - actions speak louder than words.

Oops - what happened there

Should be -

Hi Derek -

I think itā€™s going to be a printing bureau for me for a while.Ā  Iā€™m over the hassle\stress of (often) sitting in an information-less vacuum.

I cannot treat my clients like that.Ā  Iā€™m already bull-shitting some of them in an attempt to cover for the time-delays and problems involved with the Form 1.

I am really upset to see many of us, FORM1 owners, involved with such many issues. I waited a year to get mine and just got it. As Formlabs use to say to all of us waiting for our printers: " sorry for the delay but we want to bring you a good product". I have been very patient to get it so I think that expecting a reliable product sounds more than raisonable. This is a too expensive product to play with it just for fun! And they should quickly think about a solution to support their international customers by getting distributors to different countries. Do not forget that many SLA printers like FORM1 arrive on the market!

This is sad but I am already checking other desktop SLA printers to purchase as the FORM1 does not sound to be a good solution for small business.

Hello everyone I wanted to know if anyone has tried to print models for orthodontic aligners, and also models from optical impression and the last dime for guided surgery
thanks

1 Like

Hi

Iā€™m based in the UK and printed an upper and lower set for a dentist in Poland, he didnā€™t believe the quality was good enough for his requirements but they looked ok to me (not a dentist so what do I know? )

Derek, I use 50 micron glass-beads at 3.5 bar to remove the investment.
Then 100 micron aluminium oxide at 2 bar to remove the reaction layer on
the surface of the crown. The sandblaster I use is a Renfert Basic
quatro IS

http://www.alandental.com/category-96-b0-Dental-Implant-Machine.html

hi michel ā€¦did u test the form 1

Hi,
I am planning to buy form 2 for printing crowns and bridges essentially.
Would you suggest me some other printer or is form 2 the best?

Hi Iā€™m a dental pratician DDS, Iā€™m interested to test a dental crown 3D printing on a real clinical case. The stl file of the crown is already modelized, I can send it by mail. Who would like to print this stl in a dental classic A2 shade and send the crown back ?

HI, Iā€™m dentist, could you print for me a dental crown A2 shade from STL (crown alreay modelized with a cad software)

I may be mistaken but I think you are confused as what can be printed and then used intraorally. Your STL file can be printed in a castable resin that can then be fabricated into a crown or pressed for e-max.

You can print models from intraoral scans to then be used by a lab to create your restorations. You can print surgical guides from STL files. There is not a resin to print a crown in shades as you wish. The SG resin is approved for intraoral use but is for surgical guides.

As I am new to this I stand to be corrected but as of now I do not see Formlabs resins to do what you want. You could easily have a pmma or ZR crown milled vs printing resin.

1 Like