Current versions of PreForm and the Form 1/1+

So for the last 2 years, I’ve been using version 2.10.2 of Preform on my Form 1+ with reasonable success. Every time I start Preform it asks me to update to the current version, up until tonight, I simply dismissed that dialog box.

But I’ve read the release notes, and all the wonderful things the new software is supposed to do, and all the improvements in print quality, etc. So I thought I’d give it a try.

Well, I does appear that all these wonderful improvements are only aimed at the new wunderkind, the Form 2, while the Form 1+ is apparently not worthy of them.

The first thing I noticed is that the nifty embossed model names that go around the edge of the base doesn’t work if you select a Form 1+ printer. It works for the Form 2 though :frowning_face:. At the same time, the new feature of having holes around the perimeter of the base, to alleviate the cupping formed by the raised edge… Not there for the Form 1+ :frowning_face:

Next up, when generating supports, it generates an excessive amount, and to make things worse, more often than not they are not aligned with the minima, :weary:

And the final coup de grace, uploading the model to the printer seems to take twice as long if not longer than with the previous version I used (2.10.2).

I’m printing a model right now, but as soon as it’s done, I’m removing this useless turd and going back to the last useful version of Preform that actually had some useful functionality for the Form1+, as Formlabs is apparently making every effort to sabotage to get us to switch to it’s “golden boy”.

2 Likes

Roll back to OpenFL. Loads faster, can load custom and 3rd party resins. Has the same feature edits as newer versions.
I had all sorts of issues with the latest resin settings as they are targeted for the higher powered F2’s resulting in under cured models where the internal geometry was raw resin with the gray v3 & 4.

1 Like

I just tried this. seemed to take so long I thought it had crashed. I believe you are stating correctly when you mention Formlabs are doing what they can to kill Form 1/1+

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.