Create Multi-z level resins

Hi there,

Is there a simple way to change the Z-axis offset. We are trying to create a stature that is created from different resins, for example the first cm is a red resin, then the second cm is a blue resin, and et cetra.

One method I thought of was to change the initial z-axis offset (platform height), and doing separate prints per layer. But the only way that this seem possible is through OpenFL (I am not sure exactly how to do that from there). Preform only has a 1mm max offset.

If you have any other ideas on how to do this, let me know. Thanks!

The easiest way to do this would be to print the sections separately, then use CA glue to bond the pieces together.

A harder & crazier way would be to create a custom “build platform” with variable Z height. Then for each section you could raise the build platform surface (but not the printer’s Z-stage) so the print would align with the tank surface.

OR- is it possible to swap the tank and cartridge out for a different color resin when you pause the print?

the Color Kit resin should all read as the same stuff and not cause a problem with the print? or does yanking the cartidge or tank abort the print?

If you are switching resin trays mid print, make sure you are taking out the build platform first before you remove the tank. Otherwise there is a serious risk of dripping resin onto the optical window.

1 Like