Add 3D mouse support to PreForm

We’re not talking about Marvel comics here.
3D mice have become mainstream in the 3D community.
It’s a serious professional tool which increases productivity.
Not sure about the Leap Motion though…

2 Likes

You are assuming the Preform is a CAD program…

I assume you have never used a 3D mouse

3 Likes

What’s that got to do with it? Unless you know what the code base used by Preform actually is you can’t begin to tell how easy it would be to implement new features.

I thought so. You never used a 3D mouse.

3 Likes

There’s no assumption of the sort needed (although it’s more CAM than CAD):

Preform provides a 3D operating space, at the moment navigated primarily with a traditional (2d) mouse.
3D Connexion provide an API to enable developers to incorporate their 3D mouse as an input device.
A number of programs that previously only used 2d mice for input have incorporated 3D Connexion’s input system.
A number of users of 3D mice would like to be able to use the device in Preform as well because it is intuitive in use.

If you want to see how “difficult” it is to add the functionality, take a look at the Blender code base. We’re well past the days of high-level programs taking sole control of IRQs to work directly with hardware - it’s all layered.

If you haven’t used a 3d mouse, then I can well understand it not being obvious.

3 Likes

I’ve used a 3D mouse for CAD where it actually helps. I still don’t see the need in Preform. Zooming with a scroll wheel and rotating with the right click for these objects is plenty good. They have limited resources and I would much rather them put it into allowing me to change which mouse inputs do the scrolling/rotating and other more important issues. Again, I don’t care if they put it in, it doesn’t hurt my ability to use a regular mouse. I still don’t see what the fuss is about, “an increase in productivity” I seriously doubt it, but hey if the placebo effect works for you then okay.

Using a 3D mouse has become so evident to me that whenever I can’t make use of it in a 3D environment, I feel like a cripple.
This feeling becomes even stronger during operations when consecutive selections and view changes are required.
I can think of two instances in Preform when this happens :
-Editing supports on complex geometry
-Optimizing position and orientation of multiple parts in the build volume

There you go clickety-clicking and whirling the silly old mouse wheel…

gjgomes : if you merely use your 3D mouse as a paper weight, you might not fully understang what I am talking about.

3 Likes

This topic appears to have devolved into a number of people making a feature request and explaining clearly why they’ve made the request and a (thankfully) minority trying to say “no they shouldn’t”.

Thankfully, the latter group do not dictate FL’s development strategy.

3 Likes

The “whys” have just recently come out. Olivier’s most recent post is the only one that has actually stated a specific instance in which the mouse would help. I think I have been clear in that while I don’t think the 3D mouse will increase my productivity in preform, it doesn’t really matter to me if it is in there. I simply prefer their time be spent on (to me) more important things.

Olivier, I didn’t say it was a paperweight. I said I use it when it is actually useful.

I might also add that at FUSE, Max was specifically asked this question during his Q&A, I will paraphrase his response as he was chuckling but also seemed serious ‘Well I guess we have been dragging our feet haven’t we. It is time we do it. Okay? Guys? You hear me? Let’s do it.’

2 Likes

Hi GJ,

Thanks for the info, and sorry about the “paperweight” thing ; I get all emotional around the subject of 3D mice.
The only thing I dislike about them is that they always attract attention at airport security checks :slight_smile:
Would you mind sharing your impressions about the Fuse 1 ?

Cheers,

1 Like

The Fuse 1 SLS machine seems to be just like what they did for SLA. A nice easy to use good quality “benchtop” printer. The parts I saw and felt were great. I don’t personally use any SLS parts now, but if you do I assume this machine will be a must have just like the Form 2 was. No supports, standard thermoplastics, and good resolution make SLS desirable, I just can’t deal with the powdery surface finish. The Fuse 1 isn’t worse in terms of surface finish as far as I can tell, I just don’t like any SLS surfaces.

I wish Preform would support my Spacemouse!

2 Likes

Formlabs - Could you weigh in on this topic please?

1 Like

3D mouse support is under active development and you can expect it in an upcoming release.

9 Likes

Excellent ! Thank you Frew !

1 Like

3D Mouse support is live in PreForm 2.13.0 :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Happy! Happy! Joy! Joy! I just installed the latest Preform and I got the pleasant surprise that my Spacemouse works with it! I had to slow it down; but that’s easy to do.

THANKS!

3 Likes

Yeah default speed is super fly! I had to dial it back to about 15%

2 Likes

That’s about to the level I dialed mine back. I’m just ecstatic that I can use mu Spacemouse in Preform.