Wrinkled Print Quality

Hi all,

One of our Form 2 has been printing parts with some very bad resolution (it feels like there’s wrinkle on the part) and it still feels very soft and sticky even after cleaning in IPA and curing in UV chamber. The parts feel like it didn’t fully cure during printing and the print layer was shifting during print and might be what causes it to be in this resolution.

I have tried changing a new tank, a new resin cartridge, and doing a test print now after cleaning the optical glass. We have tried printing the same file on our other Form 2 printer and it came out just fine. Any advice on what might be causing the issue?

Thank you!

After the print:

After cleaning in IPA and curing in UV chamber:

It’s probably best to submit a support ticket here:
https://support.formlabs.com/s/contact-support?language=en_US

The trouble you’re having could be related to contamination on the optics below the window (the main mirror or the galvanometer mirrors), or could indicate a reduction in laser power. Support can help you identify which of those possibilities may be responsible and how to get back to the performance you expect.

1 Like

Looks like a dust contamination issue as Ike has said. Probably the most likely issue if it’s had use over a long period of time. A wipe down of the interior mirror and galvo’s will be required. Is this the Urban Sustainbility Centre? I think I recognise the shape.

/Iain

Thank you for the quick response, Ike. I did submitted a support request as well. The optical mirror was really clean and barely any dust when this issue happened, but I just cleaned it anyway and doing a small test print. Hopefully it’s not the galva mirror or else it requires more work to clean.

Thank you for the quick response as well, Lain. Yes, the printer was running for 1.5 week non-stop prior to this print with a week break in between. The optical mirror was really clean and barely any dust when this issue happened, but I just cleaned it anyway and doing a small test print. Hopefully it’s not the galva mirror or else it requires more work to clean.

I actually never realized that! It’s for an architectural award, maybe the inspiration was from the Urban Sustainability Center, but it’s not the building itself :slight_smile:

Ah well it was worth a guess. I remember making an architectural model of it using the same method as a student and it looked very similar.

All the best resolving your problem!
/Iain

I will go for glass cleaning as you already cleaned the mirror’s. Sometimes the glass is dusty or have a finger prints on it. Cleaning the glass from both sides is easier when you open the covers in order to clean the mirrors, it is easier then disassemble the glass from above.

Keep us posted.

Our support team will definitely be able to help you out here, though I’ll throw another idea in the ring:

Have you tried printing these parts closer to full vertical? If you rule out optics contamination, the prominent layer line could be appearing if there’s a large surface area and it’s insufficiently supported. By reducing the surface area, you’d reduce peel/squish forces, resulting in less motion. Alternatively, your build platform could be loose. Have you checked that?

Keep us posted! I’m curious what you find as the root cause.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.