Will floating geometry print successfully if i didn't get minima warning in Preform?

Hi all,

Will the floating geometry print successfully if i didn’t get minima warning in Preform ?

For example this Image below… Please see the floating geo.

Hi @Creative3dminds,

Although PreForm isn’t throwing any warnings, it does seem possible that these isolated parts could indeed turn into minima. I would double-check that your Printability check is toggled on, since it is possible that these are not being flagged if that feature is currently disabled.

If the Printability feature is indeed enabled and Preform is still missing them, then I would open a ticket with Support for them to double-check that there is not a bug that our Software team could look into. Thank you for reaching out about this, and best of luck with the print!

1 Like

Formlabs has a very cool webinar you can watch that I found it very helpful when setting my prints in preform ( I would add support point there)

2 Likes

Hi Corey,

Yes printability feature is on but its not giving any minima warning and infact there is more than one of these islands which i can see on preform.

So i would suggest to fix this in future updates.

Also if you need my preform file i can share that. Please let me know if you need this file for developer team.

Thank you
Regards
Sumeet

1 Like

Hi Sumeet,

I cannot take files through the Forum, but you can submit them to our Support Team to take a look in the link in my above post. Thank you for sharing that with us, and if you could also let them know which version of PreForm you are using, that would be very helpful as well!

1 Like

Hi,

I found that some drops of resin spilled near Cartridge dispense arm, is it fine or i have to clean it with some sort of cotton stick ?

Thanks

Hi @Creative3dminds,

A few drops of resin on the cartridge floor should be OK in practice, but enough resin could prevent the arm from rotating freely. You could clean it with a long cotton swab, or you could follow Replacing the Form 3 cartridge dispense arm to access the cartridge floor more easily.

1 Like

Hi

Thank you for the info. :slight_smile:

Regards
Sumeet

2 Likes

Isolated floating islands like that will not print, as they don’t have anything to adhere to on the previous layer. If the gap between the island and model is extremely small it might just manage (i.e. it’s a small overhang), but I don’t believe Preform takes that kind of analysis into consideration when generating minima warnings.

I’ve seen Preform skip minima warnings for very small volumes of orphan material like that. I assumed it was by design, as otherwise unclean models with lots of little gaps that won’t significantly impact overall quality would generate all sorts of warnings. After those kind of prints I like to filter my resin (through a paint strainer - there’s a support article) to catch any blobs floating around before I begin the next print.

On older printers I suspected if it’s just a layer until the island joins the model, there might be a chance that the island sticks to the vat bottom them adheres to the model in the next layer, but I’ve never tested that out.

Hope this helps!

1 Like