Vera1 : from print to paint

Got it, thanks :slight_smile:

Here are the prints so far soon to be painted:

http://instagram.com/p/cm1suxzXfS/

Also, after printing those, I took a printing break for 4-5 days, and sure enough when I printed again last night there were failed parts, soft and warped supports like before.

I was careful to check the resin for cloudy wisps, but it looked fine. In hindsight I probably should have stirred up the resin anyway? I think I may try a full blackout cover like Greenlaw suggested.

Although I printed a bad set of parts, I am pretty confident that the next bed of parts will turn out as expected, as this seems to be a pattern for me.

The next 5 print beds worth of parts and coming out as expected. Here are a couple of new shots:

Notice the colouring difference in the pieces that have been in the window longer than others, the yellowish ones are noticeably harder to the touch.

Very interesting work and cool extras. Can I ask what 3d cad design program your using?

Hi Paul,

I prefer more organic modeling applications – Things like blender/3dsMax/Maya/XSI/Cinema4d instead of traditional CAD design software.

I love your stuff, Brian! I finally have my printer now so I hope it works as well for me :). I plan to print every day or so at the beginning, but have you continued to find the need to stir the tank after a few days break? Do you “scrape” gently the bottom of the tank, or just stir? I’m also curious if anyone tries a blackout cover / cloth, and if that makes a difference (perhaps some UV light is making it through the orange cover).

Thanks for any tips :slight_smile:

Hi Stephen,

I definitely recommend thoroughly stirring the resin in the tank after a few days break. In my experience, there is no need to scrap the bottom of the tank with any force. The only time I deliberately pick delicately at the bottom of the tank is when there is a failed a print and cured resin is stuck against the bottom.

I use the tweezers that came with the finishing kit to stir the tank, holding them from the back, the weight of the tweezers will let them glide along the bottom, imho you definitely don’t want to apply any force, ever, to the bottom of the resin vat. I haven’t tried the blackout cover yet.

On a side note – Power Failure:

I was printing masses of parts when I had a small power failure in the town where I live. The print stopped at that point (1/2 way) and I had to remove it and start again. Since that time I was unable to print normally, and was seeing strange errors that I haven’t seen before mainly, protrusions or flanges of cured resin off the sides of parts in random places, throughout the entire model.

I did 2 test prints myself before contacting Formlabs support. They gave me a couple of tests to run checking the laser and a print, while at the same time we had an exchange of information and details about the printers history/usage etc.

We were unable to track down the problem and they asked me to send in the printer so that they can do further testing. I was disappointed, because I felt that the printer was doing really well (up until that point)  and I was getting results I was happy with.

I am not sure what happened exactly, but I know I will be VERY careful about power outages in the future, as I still feel there is a direct connection between the outage and the failing prints although we could not find the problem.

I will update when I get more info.