Tough Resin vs Gray Matte Resin

Hello. I have been printing miniatures with gray matte resin. Results are great but I’m having a hard time finding a balance between reliability and amount of supports.

If I don’t put supports all over the place, my prints break/ detach before printing. And the other extreme is having too many supports which make my cleaning a mess. Specially with intricate complicated models.

So my question is; Is tough resin better at this? less likely to detach during printing? I wanted to do a test but wanted to ask here before investing in more resin. new tank.

Please advise.

Thank you.

I don’t think it is a problem with the resin so much as the process. What are your support density and point size? Maybe try more smaller points and fewer larger points. If the process is flawed, then no resin will survive the print.

For most geometries, the default support settings and generation algorithm should provide reliable results so let me know if this isn’t the case for you.

The default settings are meant to be conservative and in some cases, can be reduced. For small geometries, it’s often safe to reduce the touch point size though you’ll want to avoid this for larger parts as it can lead to them detaching from supports.

Support reliability should be equivalent across each of our materials including Grey V3 and Tough V4 as we design the default support settings for consistency.