Thin Parts Are Very Flimsy and Don't Hold Shape

Good morning,

I have been trying to print a small object to help automate microscopy experiments in my lab. We are hoping to print something that will allow us to compartmentalize a microscope slide. This is 2 mm thick.

We are printing this file on a Form 3 using V4 Clear resin. I have tried printing this file flat on the plate, and it failed. I’m using a layer thickness of 0.5 mm and the default orientation, auto-supports. I’ve also used my own supports as well. Both times this came out to flimsy to use effectively. Each compartment is separated by a 2 mm by 2 mm by 50 mm rod. These seem too thin to keep properly rigid when printed.

So, I am here wondering if I should change resin, settings, supports, etc. Please see the file in question and thanks for reading!

60x28mm_8cells v1.stl (9.3 KB)

It will be very hard to print correctly the thin ribs.
As I print a lot of thin shells here is one orientation of the model which may help you to get correctly all other things except the ribs.
test1.form (509.4 KB)

BTW, if I have to make such part I would do it on my milling machine instead on the 3D printer,

Thanks for the response, I’m going to try thickening the part and see how it goes.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.