Print outcome bigger than model

Hi there,

Is there any tool available to calibrate the printer, so the model will be closer to what it was designed? I printed the same model twice, using different angles and in both outcomes it came out bigger than computer model.
One print is ‘taller’ by 0.5mm and the other by 0.6mm
I used 50microns resolution.
This discrepancy in sizes can be a problem when making parts which should fit together.

Hi, How was it oriented?

I noticed the same in Grey V4 Beta 50 micron. Since yesterday both Grey and Clear are default. I ended up printing the part at a factor of 0.995.

Hi,
I used two different settings to find if this will make any difference.
The oversize happens in Y dimension. All other are correct. Therefore I can’t use scale down factor, because it will change all dimensions.

This is not cool. I agree if you build something to fit together there will be an obvious problem.

Well FL will say you didn’t angle that part enough. :upside_down_face:

I just printed something that came out in Grey v4 that was dimensionally correct.

I guess i’m getting lucky?

Hi

Beta just became default. I haven’t managed to check it yet but would be great if solved.

It might depend on geometries as well.

LOL, FL is saying, that the angle of the part is having an impact on the build resolution?
I am booking my training. They won’t have easy one with me :slight_smile:

1 Like

I am still finding it better to angle the parts on the build plate even though they say with the 3L you don’t absolutely have to. Last print came out flawless angling it back at a 45. Thing is it takes more resin and in the end it takes up more of the build volume. But the finish is fantastic.

1 Like

I’ve had similar dimensional issue on my 3L. The Form 3 has a tuning program that you can use to adjust these types of settings. I have asked FL if they’d include this utility for the 3L. They said that they don’t have any plans to do so. We might have to wait.

I’d be curious to know what you dimensional accuracy is if you run parts using Legacy settings instead of Default/Beta.

There’s some reports from others on the forum, and I’ve done extensive testing, showing some issues with the Default/Beta settings, so curious what you would find. When I run parts in Legacy, I’ve been having great success with my 3L.

I’ve been running part in both default and legacy settings in both 50um and 100um layers. I bought the machine to run clear resin. The clear resin has issues with light bleed in the z-axis (also known and cross-layer curing). The Support team sent me to grey resin to test (Thank you). The cross-layer curing is almost non-existent but X-Y features are still overgrown.

The support team printed my test models in a Form 3+ and the dimensions are spot on but can’t be reproduced on the 3L. I would advise again purchasing this machine until they work out these issues are implement the same tuning process as on the Form 3.

Ah, so the dimensional inaccuracies you see are the same across default & legacy, good to know.

We have a Form 3+ and 3L and haven’t noticed anything too out of the ordinary for our needs. As you suggested, different resins will be more or less accurate. Tough 2000 for example, is much looser in tolerance than Rigid 4K or 10K. The light bleed on clear resin makes sense as well.

I would really like to see a non-uniform scaling option in Preform. Literally all other 3D printing slicers have this. Elastic/Flexible parts tend to come out very oversized in the X & Y for example.

I’d like to see the tuning capabilities of the Form 3 added to the 3L. Our 3L is useless for assembly parts because of the lack of accuracy of this machine. OD features are large by 0.25mm and internal features and small by the same amount. The Support team said that there was nothing that they could do about it at this time and they wouldn’t support this as a warranty issue. Be careful with this machine. I may have just gotten a lemon and yours may be performing much better.

Hi all,

Thank you for sharing your feedback and suggestions. For PreForm related suggestions, we suggest continuing to share feedback via PreForm’s Help menu to get eyes on this from the team.

I’ve passed both your feedback to the team as well for visibility - thank you for taking the time to share!