Poor quality prints on new Form 3+

Hi there, We have a new Form 3+, and will be using it to support students and academic research. We printed some simple “spinning coins” and found that the rear side, next to the supports looks really bad. We tried several orientations, but all appear as bad on the support side. We are using Draft Gray V2 resin. 0.1 mm layer height. I attached a picture showing 1 good side, and two bad sides from the 3 coins we printed. Also, I wanted to print the inner coin with the outer ring, with pins in holes to allow the inner coin to spin. On our Ultimaker FDM machine, if I allow about 0.020" or about 0.5 mm gap between pin and hole, then I can print both parts together and the inner coin will spin. What gap will I need on the Form 3+? We have tried 0.007 inch, and 0.014 inch, was going to try larger next… Anyway, the bad resolution is the big issue. Suggestions? Just print them vertical? That takes longer, but can do?
Thanks - ldp

Don’t expect many things from Draft, it’s only for fast prototyping and draft results. Flat surfaces also tend to bend after some time… Draft is usually used to print a part for quick look and test, get feedback, then discard it.
For better results you should get a standard (maybe Grey to match the Draft’s colour) or an engineering resin. For example standard Gray has 4 times the resolution of Draft (0.025mm vs 0.100mm)

While using Draft you can try other orientations, as you suggested, like printing at a 30-45o angle. But don’t expect miracles
(For your coin I would try a vertical one too, only because to avoid having supports on the coin’s sides)

From my experience any flat surface pointing towards the build platform that is inclined at less than about 15° will not come out very well. Pointing away from the build platform give the best surface results. You choose one or the other with SLA.

Hi all,

Thank you for reaching out and for sharing your experience with this! Regarding the model orientation, printing vertically may yield the best surface finish in this case, as neither face of the coins will have to be directly supported. For most models, printing at an incline will maximize the success rate as the others have mentioned.

Although I’m not quite sure regarding your gap measurement question, I would look over our Design specifications for 3D models (Form 3/Form 3B) to get a sense for the printer’s limitations when designing certain features.

If you find that print quality issues persist, please feel free to get in touch with our Support Team to narrow this down further.