OMFG WTF - SPOTAMATERIALS SPOT GP (Beta - White)

DO NOT USE THIS RESIN.

THIS IS WHAT IT DID TO A BRAND NEW TANK.

I was advised to use 0.05 setting, grey, but to try other settings too, so I thought’hey, it’s got a white filler, let’s use the white setting’.

Looked good for 1st hour or so building supports, when I noticed that the print had become completely detached from the base plate - not good. When I removed the plate and tank 2 things stood out - the white filler had almost completely settled from the resin, and the resin that was cured was extremely brittle (and stuck rock solid to the rubber on my brand new tank - which is now ruined as it tore several chunks out).

As you can see from the yellowing, not only did the resin that was under immediate exposure cure - so did the rest of the resin in the tank as it is now very yellow in colouration compared to the clear resin prior to adding the filler.

Now even if the white setting is not suitable for this material, the separation of the filler from the resin within a 3 hour period is completely unacceptable.

I shall be attempting a refund and compensation from spotamaterials, can’t say I expect much luck though.

That resin is not designed for the Form1. Jesse ordered the production one and even that was not designed for the Form1. They sent him a replacement and that was tuned for the Form1.

If you talk to them they may help you with this.

Well, the email I got from spotamaterials told me it was formulated for the form1 and there was a sticker staying for me on the bottle, so who knows.

*sticker saying so on the bottle

After leaving the resin bottle over a 24 hour period most of the white colour agent had settled at the bottom of the bottle, so I strained the resin through a mesh and tried again on the recommended setting - transparent, 0.05. The results were not good, which is understandable given there was probably still some of the colour agent in the (mostly) clear resin.

They have offered to refund the cost of the resin, which I shall be taking them up on and I’ll be keeping a close eye on them as they are much cheaper than formlabs so as soon as their resins are up to scratch I’ll try again.