Nylon12 and Nylon11 material Reef Safe?

I’m contemplating the new Fuse1 that will be released this year but I wanted to know if Nylon12 and Nylon11 is fish/reef safe. Please let me know.

First, there’s no telling when Fuse1 will see the light of day, it has been radio silence for a while now and the last news is from nov 2018 saying there will be beta units on the market by the end of 2018 and preform updates for others to estimate costs… none of those have happened as far as the public information goes.

Then, Nylon 6, 6.6, 66, 11, 12 all have basically the same chemical composition and since Nylon screws are used in skimmers and other reactors I would guess they are reef safe.

As for sintered nylon, which is the product of SLS printing, I would not risk it. The printing process consists of hitting a bed of very fine nylon particle with a laser and “melt” them together, however even after cleaning the parts they are still “dusty” with the fine particles and I dont think aquatic life will like having 50um particles of nylon floating around,

Don’t put plastic in the ocean.
Print with the ceramic material and fire it.

1 Like

Thank you for the information!

It’s for an aquarium setup. Not the ocean.

Just to add a bit. The porous material also allows stuff to grow into the part. Some of the time it’s good stuff and some of the time it’s bad stuff. Bad news is it’s hard to clean once stuff starts growing into the porous structure.

Thank you for the insight.

Just a thought : have you considered just using the most basic SLA resin ? The uncured resin is not safe but the cured state is. In general Methacrylates should be reef safe as that’s basically superglue which is used to glue frags, and acrylates in general are widely used (PMMA). You would just have to design your parts so as to ensure they are fully reticulated after post-curing, and properly cleaned to avoid having liquid resin still hidden somewhere.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.