My first Form 3 prints

I have had my Form 3 for a couple months, couple issues that Formlabs has been really helpful on fixing. I have my thoughts as to where the issues came from but it boils down to something between the plastic sheets smearing across the bottom of the Resin tray OR using the small rafts instead of the FULL raft. BUT these are the prints I got even with those settings. All of them done at .05 mm, at some points I see some artifacts or ridges as you can see in one of the closeups there. Might be my files orientation? Really happy with everything so far, especially the service I have gotten on getting things fixed or replaced. Let me know what you think!

This last post shows the problem I had running, what I think, with the small rafts. The second time I did it on the left with FULL rafts he printed out fine.

5 Likes

Those are really awesome prints. I can’t really say for sure if those artifacts are from orientation or not but it seems to be common with the Form 3 at the moment. I’m hoping it’s just a software glitch that they can fix. Seems like a lot of people are getting oddities such as that on their machines when those settings such as small rafts should work. Best of luck though and continue the great prints.

1 Like

On the Form 3 Grey resin 50 Microns…is everyone seeing this level of stratification? Artifacting? (What are people calling this?) Is alot of it due to the angle or NON angle I put my objects at? AND is there any difference, I want to do a test of this, for using OBJ or STL? Everything I do comes out of ZBrush and I have only done OBJs so far. Curious if this makes a difference? My models are usally around 1.5 to 2 million polys.

1 Like

Do you mean the layer lines? You’ll always have those when printing with non-zero layer thickness, regardless of the print process. You’re absolutely right, it is due to the angle of the object to the build platform. If a surface is almost parallel to the build platform, the lines will be spaced apart widely and will be quite noticeable, if a surface is at an angle of, say, 45°, they can be almost invisible.

To mitigate this, take it into account when orienting your models, and if you want to get rid of them completely, you’ll have to use some sort of filler and then paint your models.

1 Like

Thanks, I definitely didn’t angle them enough but I had just replaced the Roller Holders and Resin Tank because of issues I was having. Was eager to print something to test. Curious what these would look like at the 25 microns and angled better. Just hoping for less cleanup.

25 micron and standing straight up may lessen them. from how the computer breaks them into layers. you’ll get stepping

Ran one of the models, the little cloud again, at 25 microns. Was doing 2 so I did an STL and and OBJ just making sure. WOw, what a difference 25 microns makes and angling more at a 45 degree. Look awesome BUT then on the edges I started getting some weird wavyness to the smooth side. This side would have been angled towards the build plate, hard to capture it in picture here but I put some wavy lines above were it is happening. AND not in the model these are both different looking so I know wasnt in the file. Started a 19 hour build right after it with a few more models at 25 microns. Some of those are figures and might show this wavy warping if it is happening again.

1 Like

yep, welcome to the Form3 world :slight_smile:

1 Like

i see it got smoother try a different orientation to see it the warping changes

1 Like

The wrinkles are a known issue with the form3.The engineering team is apparently working on a fix for it.

1 Like

Yeah, support got back with me on the weird ribbon area in my scultp. They mentioned not enough supports in that area when the Form starts out so add more back in that area to help with that, it was undersupported. They asked for the files too to see what they get, which is cool. It all hopefully helps them figure it out.

The standard reply so far has been to add more supports.In my experience it did not change the defects much.

1 Like

yeah I have the warping too in my form 3 and the thing is that I print jewelry and that’s a big problem for my pieces and mostly is very notorious in the surface of the rings. I hope formlabs can resolve this issue soon with and update because if the problem is the hardware for sure this printer is not gonna work for me and also it should not be advertise as a printer for jewelry if this problem can not be solve.

Yeah more supports will not help AT ALL. After an amazing amount of back and forth this weird warping/waviness has now been determined to be a known issue and something that they are working on. Who know how long until it’s ironed out.

1 Like

Here is my newest print from this weekend, 48 hour build with Grey Resin on the Form3 at 25microns. The final size of the model is about 5.5" tall. Was pretty happy with the results considering the time to print. There were a couple of problem areas that didnt print right or out right had bad results…VERY small areas. I can see comparing to my original model some ares of muddled or smoothed out details…that is the part that i dont like BUT overall pretty happy with it.

This print looks great! Do you mind if I ask if you’ve tried it at 50 or 100?

This specific print, no, but since my final intention is to cast from my prints there has been SO MUCH cleanup and sanding for something high detailed when I do run at 50 or 100 I just didnt go for it on this. That is just from what I have seen so far, I am trying to get ready for a show end of March and with the problems I have had on previous grows I am behind on getting things done. I bought with the intention of having to not do cleanup and getting highly detailed models that I could easily cast from.

Gotcha! This only reason I ask is that there’s an understandable misconception out there that a smaller layer height is always necessarily better for smaller details when that’s usually not the case and 100 microns will produce the same level of detail whereas 25 helps with wide area smoothness.

That being said, it sounds like you have good reasons to stick with 25 here, so don’t let me stop you! Mostly just asking for my own curiosity.