Mixing glitter with resin?

I know I know, another weird resin alteration question.

Has anyone mixed glitter or mica into Formlabs resin and, if so, how did it turn out?

Anecdotally, from the stories of Formlabs employees (who have no warranty to void and/or who may be skilled at repairing printers if something goes wrong anyway), it can print OK and result in sparkly prints, but is likely to ruin your IPA wash for other parts unless you want them flecked with glitter, too. In some cases, the resin may also dissolve the coloration out of the glitter, leaving you with tinted resin and clear glitter, instead of clear resin with colorful glitter. I may or may not be able to find some photos of results.

Those are all acceptable outcomes, I was more worried about wasting a cartridge of resin due to complete resin incompatibility but both possible color bleed-out and needing a second IPA bath are both fine. I work for a toy invention firm and having the option to just print in weird effects is promising!

I’ve done pretty extensive printing with glitter in resin - like Ike said, you have to be cautious because glitter will get everywhere! That being said, I love the finished prints!

This is a print that is made of clear resin with blue/green glitter mixed in. I mixed the glitter into the tank and just let plain clear resin dispense into the tank during the print.

This print was Clear resin with mica powder mixed in. You have to be REALLY careful with the mica - clear resin settings didn’t work with this amount of mica in the resin. I had to print in open mode with Black settings and double-expose the file to get it to actually print successfully.

If you’re just looking for a clear tint, use alcohol ink! I’ve had spectacular success mixing alcohol ink into clear resin.