Microfluidic Jig Printing

Hi All,

I want to print a jig to hold some glass slides/ chips while I look at them under a microscope. When examining chips under a microscope, small variations in the jig will affect the focus of the image a lot. Is there a resin and way of printing that would minimize the amount of warping I’ll see in the final part? Also does any one know of a way to cure parts that will reduce warping?

Post-curing is required for speciality resins (engineering, dental, casting) but its not an absolute necessity for standard resins. if you’re using standard resins I would try to just let them dry and they’ll be a bit more brittle but for your use it might just work.
As for other resins, post-curing with the supports is often a good way to make the part a bit more stiff. You may also want to experiment with very gradual increase in temperature until you reach the desired value, at which point you start the UV.

Then, regarding warping during printing increasing the thickness of the part to make it more resilient to the peeling operation which is often the cause of warping. An increase in thickness can also be replaced by ribbing at the right places.
Then comes orientation, and it really depends on the geometry of your parts. I’d try to at least orient the parts always the same way so that at least the variations between design and print are always the same and you can compensate for it.

Thanks, that was really helpful! I ended up printing the part in standard resin directly on the build platform and with just around 10 minutes of uv light (no heat) and it was really flat. There was no tilt movement even on a smooth granite surface.

1 Like

Rigid is by far the best resin for this. It’s very stable from what I’ve seen.

I use rigid for thin walled mold cavities that need to hold a draft (2mm thick shell that fills the build volume). The standard resins move around too much during cure. Rigid is very stable compared to the other resins.

1 Like