Material behavior at elevated temperature

Hi Formlabs community.

I work in the automotive industry, specifically in powertrain, where our ambient environment is -40°C to 150°C. I’m no so much worried about the -40°C for prototypes; however it is normal for the parts to reach the +150°C mark.

I’ve noticed in the MSDS, the following: "Heating this product above 150°C (300°F) in the presence of air may cause slow oxidative decomposition; above 260°C (500°F) polymerization may occur. Fumes and vapors from this thermal decomposition may be dangerous (nitrous

vapors, carbon monoxide-carbon dioxide). Do not breathe fumes."

So I have quite a few questions.

1. Does this apply only for the pre-cured resin? Or will this still apply for post-cured resin as well?
  2. It sounds like the product will still be stable up to 150°C. What exactly is slow oxidative decomposition? Does that mean the parts will slowly evaporate? And how slowly?
  3. Above 260°C, polymerization may occur? Technically, polymerization is not a bad thing, right? That actually means the molecules are forming chains which could mean the product will be stronger if cooled again?
  4. Realistically, what is happening at high temperatures? Is it getting soft and squishy? At what temperature is it pliable?
  5. If I make a part with this resin and send it to my customer running it on a test engine, do I need to warn them to have some ventilation equipment running during disassembly due to the fumes? They have this equipment anyways for the exhaust, but it typically is not running during build and tear-down.

Any insight would be GREATLY appreciated. Has anyone tried to heat up a printed part to see what happens?

Thanks