Lubricating a Form 1+

Hi guys,

I’ve noticed my Form 1+ making a kind of grinding noise as it lowers the build plate. I figure I should put some wd40 on the main screw column the plate is attached to, but I don’t want to do anything that’ll knock the precision of the printer.

Can anyone tell me if this is safe enough, or if you have any other recommendations for lubricating this part (printer is 2.5 years old now, and still going strong!).

TIA

Excited to hear that your Form 1+ is still going strong! On some printers, the lead screw eventually required additional lubrication and Super Lube tends to be the best option. If you get in touch with our support team, we have small packets that we can send you.

WD40 is NOT a lubricant

1 Like

Thank you @billb , I was just about to say that. Please people don’t use WD40 as a lubricant, it IS composed of very thin lubricating oils but it also tends to dissolve / dilute greases which is what you would want to stay on your screw shaft. WD 40 can be used to make stuck stuff move again but it must be wiped off before actually using the thing.

Also please don’t use WD40 on plastics and elastomers. WD stands for Water Displacement and it tends to actually repell water which has the effect of making plastics become brittle and form cracks after a while.

Is you want to lubricate a screw shaft such as the one in the Form machines use some thick grease, I’m sure Formlabs has some recommendation as to what king of product to use but I would bet that silicone grease is a good bet… if not the best, it’s most certainly safe to use.

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.