Is it possible to change the glass of the Form 3 resin tank?

Is it possible to change the glass of the Form 3 resin tank?

I am thinking of buying a used formlabs Form 3 (unfortunately it doesn’t come with a resin tank but I will take some old resin tanks with it). There are some situations that worry me. The first of these is that we cannot use all the resin we want.

For example, I want to use Abs like resin or water washable resin. I found some resources on the internet for this. We can fill it with the resin we want by using a chip. Has anyone used the resins I mentioned in the example? Or will the print quality be adversely affected?
After all, the resins I mentioned are not bad and are ideal and cheap resins for engineering work.

There is a solution for this, but is there a solution for the resin tank? For example, I learnt that the glass of the resin tank of a sufficiently deformed Form 2 can be replaced.
But can the resin tank glass of a Form 3 be replaced? For example, is it possible to remove the original film and put on a new Fep film?
I will buy a full set of used Form 3 at a very reasonable price. (Form 3 + Form Wash + Form Cure) Or is it more logical to buy a more open source 8k 12k monocrystalline 3D printer like Anycubic or Elegoo? By the way, I will buy the Form3 set cheaper than the monocrystalline printers I mentioned.
Since my friend has completely changed his workflow, I can buy it at an affordable price. However, if I am going to buy its resin, tank and consumables at the price of a monocrystalline printer, it remains very unnecessary for me.

1 Like

The form 3 doesn’t use a glass tanks. It is a plastic film.

What I am talking about is Fep Film. In the rest of the article, I clearly ask if the Fep film can be changed. Please don’t get stuck on the fact that I wrote glass. I wonder if you read the rest of the article?

Regardless the film is not user serviceable.

1 Like

yeah… Formlabs ecosystem is pretty closed. They are trying to get 3rd party resin manufactures to work with their resin tanks / resin cartridges. BUT these are in no way similar to Chinese import printers you are used to seeing. The parts are meant to be consumable. They are NOT meant for refurbishment. - You use a resin tank…and it can handle multiple 1-LR worth of resin cartridges. Depending on which resin you are using tanks will last different amounts of time before they naturally break down and lose their seals and degrade. Like it or not that is the choice the FL designers have made. just like with the import printers you have FEP sheets to change or LCD screens as your consumable parts for those technologies. (MSLA) process. - If your looking for a do it yourself platform that isn’t setup from the start to be more “white glove” less mess and more foolproof and you are more a tinkerer… i would not go with a FL printer. That isn’t the right tool for you. Though having said that. FL is exposing new “tweaking” settings inside preform now! so This IS progress! Will it be enough for what you feel is a good fit for you well YMMV. - As for the tanks and cartridges I know most of us would LOVE to have a recycling program or a way to refill them. (if for only environmental reasons) - sadly its just not possible from their business model that they officially support.

2 Likes

I have taken a used 3B tank and wiped down the interior. I changed it from a black resin to a tough resin. But I don’t think the black resin was that old (the tank was hardly used). I got lucky and I was able to reuse it. But I think if it’s well used, the film begins to wear and cloud and then it’s just not worth it anymore. I realize they are expensive, but it would be worth it to buy a new tank. I think it would save you a lot of trouble in the end.

1 Like

I understand, thank you for your comment. I’m quite capable of doing things. That’s why I’m wondering if there are any do-it-yourself solutions. Obviously replacing the fep film (including the sealing process) would be a fairly simple process for me. However, unfortunately, I do not know whether the Fep Film I will install is compatible with the tank of Fomr3. Therefore, I felt the need to ask before buying in vain, saying that maybe there is someone who does it. You are actually quite right. I think that although I can buy the Form3 set cheaply, the most logical solution seems to be to buy a Chinese MSLA 3d printer. However, I will be in anticipation until the last moment (until the set is sold to another buyer). Maybe (although I don’t expect it :slight_smile: ) including Form3 manufacturers, there are those who find a solution to what’s on my mind :slight_smile:

Yes, I understand that, thank you for your advice. But I regret to say that in my country, the consumables of Form3 are not as easily accessible as you can reach. Even almost impossible to find. Or if these consumables will force you with 1 point out of 10 according to your monthly earnings, for me this value is around 6-7 out of 10. In other words, in my country, the current selling price of Fom3’s resin tank only is 276$ and it is very possible for me to find a little used MSLA at this price.