How to Orientate Part

I have a few cup shaped models I need to print and am having issues with orientation. Can someone please help?Capture1Capture2Socket.STL (419.9 KB)

This part forms a CUP- the 4 screw holes form 4 independent cup shapes and the the large cylinder forms a cup shape. This will create suction that will make it hard for the Form 2 to peel the part off the tank floor after each layer.
However, if you flip this part nearly upside down… so that one part of the rim of the large cylindrical socket is higher than the rest… than it should print fine.
This will put supports internally in the socket… if that is an issue, then print it oriented on its side- like a wheel- to minimize the supports needed on the floor of the socket.

Thank you for the reply. There are issues with that orientation as the inside of the cup mates with a matching post. Thus the side orientation scares me…I am nervous the oval shape will not be as intended but oval in a different way due to the printing. Thoughts…?

printing it upright will not result in any more distortion than printing it on its side.

The problem is the CUPPING of the upfacing orientation. It will cause peel defects or rip the part from the built platform… a worse result.

Print at .1mm for best dimensional accuracy. But higher if you need a smoother surface internally.
Keep in mind that the Form 2 has higher vertical resolution than it does X/Y resolution.

If you’re only printing these one at a time it will probably print fine as long as it’s not setting on the build platform.

As soon as you generate supports the part lifts off the build plate so the cup effect is minimal because of the screw holes. You will need to sand the side facing the build plate flat after printing.

If you print 4 or 5 of these at once the machine may have issues peeling because if the surface area. Material type also has some influence here.

So, it’s better to print an object oriented with a higher angle?

Couple rules of thumb I use:
Least detail side should be the support side to make cleanup easier.
1 Angle the parts so they are not square to the tank.
2 Slope the part so the tallest supports are toward the hinge side of the tank (this evens out the peel forces)
3 Try to keep overall angles to reduce size of the slices as much as possible but also consider print time. Too many slices and sloped too much can cause distortion depending on resin type. Typically 30-45 degrees is a good starting point.