"Hafgufa, The Beginning" Project"

Sculpted in Zbrush. This will be printed on a Form2, molded and casted. Will be printing in the next couple of days. Happy New Year!

5 Likes

Nice work whats it for?

Awesome work! Share us some printed photos when you have them. The 3D sculpt has so much detail so Iā€™m interested to see how much comes out from the print.

1 Like

George,
I will be posting pics of the final product soonā€¦Stay tuned.:grinning:

Louie_T,
The printer has its software limitations = (file size, polygonal count and total points) after decimation, reprojection etc.
:roll_eyes:

will you sell a stl of this?

What was the poly count and .form file size? I do agree there is a linit, but Iā€™ve had single-part.form files well over 1 Gbā€¦

1 Like

Poly count was over 1.5 million. It handles stlā€™s from solidworks fine (which I use at work and at home).
With Zbrush itā€™s a different story. You encounter too many issues that are combination of polycount, active points, actual file size (anything over 125mb) and surface quality. Objet and 3D Systems printers software only warn you that their are holes and bad edges (not water tight) but still allow you to print on the printer.

Interestingā€¦ 1.5-million really isnā€™t enormous. Good info to know that the source has an impact. All of my stuff comes form Solidworks and Creo.

Preform frequently wants to ā€œrepairā€ large files from them, and I have had equal success by accepting or ignoring the repair request (I wish there was an error dialogue with the ā€œrepairā€ function to identify the supposed fault).

One thing I have noticed, is that Preform, in every build for the past 18-months, is sensitive to opening a new file after processing othersā€¦ meaning;

If you open and process file#1, then file#2, then try a ā€œchallenging partā€ for file#3, it will not openā€¦ but if you simply close Preform then open file#3ā€¦ all is well. I donā€™t know if itā€™s a RAM resource problem, or what. Starting with a fresh session of Preform often solves the problem.

2 Likes

Thank you!

George,
The product that Iā€™m creating will be up for sale on Etsy but the model or stl will not.

I find you can decimate much farther than you expect and still keep detail with zbrush

1 Like

Done! Materialise Magics 22 and Zbrush! :slight_smile: Textures preserved!

1 Like

Wow!!

1 Like

The texturing on this is great! Looking forward to seeing the prints and casts.

Iā€™ve noticed the same thingā€¦Iā€™m always surprised how small the model can be at the end.

What an AMAZING pieceā€¦you never answered what it was for? Is it a bottle stopper? Statue? Amazing, amazing work!

I havenā€™t had problems with poly counts over 1.5 millionā€¦using ZBrush 4r8 (full version) on a MacBook Pro. I have had PreForm (or the printer?) tell me once it couldnā€™t upload and required me to remove existing print jobs in memory, but thatā€™s the only issue Iā€™ve had.

I find in ZBrush that I have the ā€œrepairā€ issue when I have multiple subtools that have not been re-Dynameshed, only collapsed into a single subtool (which can be split, so theyā€™re not permanently joinedā€¦). I usually save my project or subtool, then do a final re-Dynamesh and have recently started to use the Decimation Master at 20%.

I was finding that if I didnā€™t do the final Dynamesh, I would get ā€œholesā€ when I used the slicerā€¦almost like anything that intersected had a void. I make my own supports, so I figured out that this was happening where the supports meet the model, which was leaving a little divot after the support was removed. (Iā€™m primarily doing jewelry with ZBrush and my Formlabs printer).

Are all of you ZBrush users? Projection has remained a mystery to meā€¦I donā€™t use it.

yes you can also use masks to hold detail where you need it, but to be honest the algorithm is very smart! The Ocyopus looks great! What is this project going to be?

1 Like

The ā€˜noseā€™ might need more support structure around the ā€˜tipā€™ of it, otherwise it will fall off the platform into the tank during printing.

Katkramer,
The final model size was 250mb! The mesh was cleaned up well without errors and hollowed in materialise magics (netfabb is horroble with these types of meshes). I didnt think it was going to print. Keep in mind that I dont have the latest firmware and software update installed. I did have the update installed and it wouldnt let me print anything past 100mb (too sensitive).