Fuse1 - good for me?

Hello all,
i’m sorry about asking Fuse 1 - it looks like it still one big secret :wink:

Right now - i’m looking for small, office-freindly SLS 3D printer like Fuse 1. Typical usage will be print of small prototype parts, spare parts, random stuff, etc,…
Sometimes I need to print a bigger piece - base size about 160x140mm and height can be vary from 100 - 140mm. (NOT full volume).

My question(s): Can Fuse1 print part big like this? Can i make pre-order? Or i need to keep looking? Some competition 3D printers offers bigger print size chamber, but maximum single-part size is limited.

Thanks for all answers :smiley:
Tom

Nobody knows. You’d be best contacting formlabs although I suspect you may not get many straight answers.

Yes, it can fit that, the build volume is 165mm x 165mm x 320mm
All the specs are here: https://formlabs.com/3d-printers/fuse-1/tech-specs/

It’s very delayed, expected to ship sometime next year, so while you can preorder it you’d have to wait a while.

I saw some prints from it at the two user conferences. The surface finish isn’t smooth like the Form 1+, 2 or 3, but you can print complex geometry without supports and the Nylon based material seems tougher than any of the SLA resins.

The printer’s been delayed by a couple years now since the original announcement.

Yes, that’s one of the downsides of an FDM printer, it’ll have a kind of sandy finish

I think you meant SLS :wink:

1 Like

Thanks 4 all replies.
Gary_Cairns: yep. I hoped someone from Formlabs can respond here. Probably in vain… :neutral_face:

Zachary_Brackin: Yes, i know build volume. But some of competitive printers, for example, have 200x200x200mm build volume, but maximum size of one part is 100x100x100mm. So extreme example: with this printer you can’t print cube 200mm, but you can print 4 cubes 100mm.

rkagerer: i know how SLS printed parts looks (now im using 3d printing servces - but i want my own printer because print/delivery time & costs) and i don’t have any problem with this grainy surface.
Delays are problem, but i still hope Q1 '20 can be ok.

PS: FDM is toy for children! :smiling_imp: (flame :wink: )

Q1/2020? Most probably not. Even if the had the printer ready for shipping then, they still have a lot of Pre-Orders to fulfill.

Hosting SLS printer is cost effective for those who use its build volume at its max, per single print, because once your powder is heated, its barely usable again.
So conclusion, SLS technology is best for printing batches of (VERY) complex small parts where you nest your parts close to each other (suitable for small 3DP businesses) unlike, printing large single parts will led to lot of waste of unused powder.

Yes, I had it wrong in my head

They don’t have anything about maximum part size vs. build volume, so I assume the maximum print size is the same as the build volume.

Yep, i know. That’s the plan - before print, fill build volume to the maximum with parts :slight_smile:
Time by time i need to make “big” part - holder. Size about 160x140x140, complex geometryon top and lot of inner channels for vacuum, pneumatic air,… Last set (6pcs) was created with CNC milling from block of nylon. Price for this 6pcs was about 7000€ & production time was 3months :face_vomiting:
I think - some wasted powder is still better way than 7k EUR for next set of holders.

I was very curious about the Fuse - I sort of thought that the idea was that you could re-use the unfused material from which you dug the parts. If that’s not true, then it’s going to be hecka wasteful, no?

@Trupik, I’m not an expert on SLS, but you may want to consider the suitability of SLS for parts with vacuum and pneumatic channels. As I understand, there will be some porosity to the printed parts which could be potentially be a problem for those channels.

I read that you can re-use about 50% of the left over nylon. The rest is waste.

@piGuy: already tested. This porosity don’t make any problems.

About re-use: i have this infomrations: when you finish print, you have some of unsintered powder - this powder must be (sorry, I don’t know right english word) separated for small particles and bigger (partly sintered) particles. These small particles you can mix with new - fresh powder up to 50% and re-use.

1 Like

It seems like the strategy then would be to arrange your build to use the fewest layers possible (I assume the printer is smart enough to stop when it gets to the top of the build) and fill the volume with as many things as you can.

It’s a shame you couldn’t somehow add “corrals” to artificially reduce the build area when there isn’t as much work to do.